AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-Z1, which is quite a serious receiver compared to my previous receiver, and purchased some Paradigm Mk3 Mini Monitors, with the matching CC-300 center channel (rears are dayton in-walls). The Yamaha is rated at 130 watts per channel, but I've been offered an Acurus 200x3 (200watts x 3 channels) at a very good deal by a buddy and am seriously considering it. I have a small HT setup in my living room, used mostly for theater, maybe 20% for music (which will likely change more towards music once I install the Paradigms & Yamaha).

My question- is the amp worth it for my current setup? I'd be getting it for 300-350 and it's in excellent condition. I wouldn't be playing it very loud as I have a neighbor behind and beneath me.

I appreciate the input, thanks!!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
What have you got to lose. I'd try it for that amp even if I did not end up using it. It will be there in the future if you decide to upgrade your speakers to something else. Can't hurt either. Nothing to lose and everything to gain for that price. I say go for it before someone else beats you for that price.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Seems the Z11 should have plenty of power based on what I have read. Not that the price for the amp is bad. But it's more cables, more heat, more power usage, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the input, and it's funny those two responses were the exact conflicting thoughts I'm having LOL

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My vote: If there is any chance at all that you will be upgrading speakers, or moving to a different residence (home), in the near future, buy it.

If you are not going to be able to buy speakers for a very long time for whatever reason, including just having spent $300 on an amp, just save your money.

My guess: save your money.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-11 /forum/post/15566465

I appreciate the input, and it's funny those two responses were the exact conflicting thoughts I'm having LOL

OK, look at it like this. Do you have the money to purchase this amp. It's from a friend so you know what you'll be getting for a super price. If in fact you do move or decide to upgrade your speakers(and you will upgrade sooner or later) buy the AMP. You will regret not buying it later when the above occurs. Will your friend let you try it out before purchasing? Yes. I agree that R1 has plenty of power to drive the mini's, but will you notice a difference in the way it sounds. There is only one way to find out. Try it, if you like it, buy it. Yes there will be more wires(3),and heat(nominal),power usage(only when in use), but it will be there if you need it. Just my take on the subject. I say buy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heck with it, I'm going to get it. I doubt if I end up not using it I would lose much money reselling it anyway!

Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts