AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after spending a couple of weeks repairing both the HVPS and the SMPS in my ampro. The rebuilt blue CRT arrived today. I deligently removed the old one, marking everything as I went. Put the rebuilt tube in, routing all of the wires the same as before. Cranked it back up and ... Hooray! I was looking at the Windows desktop. About 2 seconds later - snap! - then snap!. The unit shuts down to the smell of something burning. I open it up and find that the Grid 2 is now at 35 volts. When I disconnect the grid 2 lead coming out of the HVPS it goes up to about 1000 volts or so. If I disconnect the Grid 2 from all of the neck cards it stays at 35 volts. Is there a chance I could have gotten a bad tube from VDC? I have not been able to find anything wrong in the way I assembled the projector?? I'm about through with this unit. I think I'll start looking for something not plagued with so many problems. Of course I would like to hear from those of you that might have an idea as to what might have happened. I'm not really ready to throw in the towel yet but I'm close. What a bummer!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just happened to notice that while the red and green CRT's have the filament's glowing red the new Blue crt has a fairly bright blue glow emanating from the neck of the tube, down by the neck board. This ain't right is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you mean Video Display Corporation when you say: VDC.

I can assure you the tube arced inside, based on what I went thru several years ago. I sent back about 3 different tubes that I got from VDC for an old Runco Cinemabeam that was doing the same thing. But when mine snapped, it destroyed the convergence board. After repairing that, I put a Video camera on the tube & after about 20 mins., you could see a purple arcing inside the tube just before it made a loud snap, then it would shut down the projector. An old TV repairman said they used to be notorius for that back in the 80's. When I finally got a tube from them that didn't arc, it would take about 5-10 mins. for the focus to pull in. If I hadn't learned my lesson yet, I helped a friend re-tube an old Kloss Novabeam. The tubes worked fine when first turned on, then I heard a loud hiss, & the neck of the red tube simply fell off! They sent another one & it was OK. If I need a tube I won't use them.

Anyway, that was my experience with that bunch!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You could look in the classifieds where someone is selling a couple of MS07 blue tubes. They are known good and tested and they won't fry your projector when you turn it on.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
there the only game in town

and they do a great job on the 9500lc

rebuilt tubes

hopefully they will improve

in time on rebuilding tubes for other

projector

XANATOS

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll steer clear of rebuilt, untested tubes for a while! But hey, a miracle happened! I woke up this morning and the projector fairy had come to visit!

Actually a trip to Curt Palmes took care of my woes. I may have paid a bit more than what I could have picked one up on E-bay for but it's tested and has a warranty! I'm off to the movies!

The guy was great. Man I've never seen so many projectors in various stages of repair. From perfect to bone yard. It was awesome! Not to mention the entertainment factor. Like a kid in a candy store.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I heard back from VDC today. They are sending me another blue tube under warranty. The tell me the tube I sent them back has internal arcing. Well duh! I will be putting the new tube up on E-bay, unopened, as I no longer have a need for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup! sounds like the same crap I went thru!

Arcing - send it back, Arcing - send it back and on & on.

Its sad that things haven't improved after 4 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.