AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - just got my replacement Ampro 2000 from Curt. Yippee! (Picked up one of the near 0 hour units he had).

I hooked it up and started running through the guided setup, and everything was going swimmingly - until I got to the Blue Horizontal adjustments...they don't seem to work. All of the Vertical Blue adjustments work fine - but all of the adjustments that allow me to move the blue vertical lines left and right don't do anything. I can move the setting from MIN to MAX, and the lines don't budge one bit.

Red and Green work perfectly for both Horiz and Vert. It's really weird. I couldn't find anything w/ a search. Anyone have any ideas?

One other oddity - I had another 2000 that went poof - when I placed this new one in the same location, it didn't align with my screen - I had to move the new projector almost 15 inches to the right to get it to project to the same location my old one did. Is that normal?

Thanks again everyone,

Robb

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It sounds like a problem in the registration control (big board on top) or the registration amplifier (smaller board in front of big board).

That registration control is a complicated area to troubleshoot. Basically the remote correction signals for geometry and convergance are converted from digital signals to analog correction (DAC chips- digital to analog) signals. All these +/- correction signals are summed together and create a non-linear function table that is applied thru the registration amplifier board as the horizontal beam sweeps top to bottom and left to right.

The blue horizontal registration amp circuit is IC41 which is second IC from the left (standing in front of projector) on front board. If none of the blue left/right functions work, the problem might be in this area.

You might check that all the ic's are firmly seated in their sockets on those two top boards, and go over all components with a magnifying glass looking for something amiss like burnt resistors, cracks, corrosion, bad solder joints, small pieces of metal shorting out pins, etc.

Ray

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You might also want to check if any of the plugs on the wire bundles coming from the blue tube are loose, which may have occurred during shipping.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I was gonna say, check the connectors on the top of the blue yoke. One of the connectors might have slipped out. If not, then it's either the convergence output or main board, I have spares in case one got nuked in shipping...

Curt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone - after reading Ray's post last night, I swapped the registration control (big) borad with the one from my old Ampro. No change. So, I put the original one back in, and swapped the registration amplifier - bingo.

So, I started looking at the one from the new projector, and sure enough, there's a broken resistor. It was still lined up, so it was hard to tell it wasn't really connected.

I can't quite get the blue aligned all the way on the extreme left edge, but I just need to tweak more. Nothing wrong with the PJ there.

Can't believe how much better this PJ looks than my old one...These Ampros are just so easy to set up and configure.

Thanks again,

Robb

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shhhh..... Really, these Ampros are horrible horrible projectors,

monsters to set up and converge, God, what are we thinking...:)

(just trying to keep demand low guys, at least till I can get me a 3000

or 4000 series pj.)

erie

·
Registered
162 Posts
[cut]

I can't quite get the blue aligned all the way on the extreme left edge, but I just need to tweak more. Nothing wrong with the PJ there.

[\\cut]

That would be nice, because I have the same problem. The central right-most vertical blue lines does not move on my projector at all when I go from min to max?

Maybe I should check the resistors?

cheers,

fledelius

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Cendroski
It sounds like a problem in the registration control (big board on top) or the registration amplifier (smaller board in front of big board).

The blue horizontal registration amp circuit is IC41 which is second IC from the left (standing in front of projector) on front board. If none of the blue left/right functions work, the problem might be in this area.

Ray
Could you please tell me where to look to!?

My problem is with the red vertical lines, think it was mainly on the left side of the picture. (Ceiling mounted 4000D)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.