AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Ampro 2000G on eBay, but the seller says the internal power supply is not working. I'm a newbie to CRT projectors, and I'm only 17, so I'm not a master electrician by any means. I have built audio amplifiers, but the power supply on them probably isn't anywhere near as complex as they are on a CRT projector. How hard would it be to diagnose a problem with the power supply? From your experiences, what would usually go wrong with a CRT projector's power supply?

Robby :cool:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hello Robby welcome to the forum. There are actually two powersupplies in the Ampro. A Switching supply that if you had the electronic knowhow you could probably fix and a high voltage power supply (HVPS)that depending on what part is damaged may or may not be repairable. The HVPS would cost something like 2000 dollars to replace with a new one. You might be able to find a used one here on the forum. There are people here that sell that kind of stuff for between 100 and 400 dollars.

If you are not confident in your abilities to work on this type of electronics I think I would shy away from it. This things are very complicated and have voltages in them that can kill you, like dead. There are voltages in excess of 34,000 volts in that Ampro. Not to mention the other high voltage lines, 800, 200, 600.

There all kinds of stuff that can hurt you bad. I'm not trying to turn you off on CRT projectors, there awesome, maybe a better bet for you would be to pick up a working unit. They can be found pretty cheap if you look at the entry level units.

Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.