AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well things haven't worked out as planned but still looking into a projector in the future. I am on Curt's list and notice BD/G808 on occasion and from searching the forum it is considered a very good projector. I've also spoken with Elite Vision about their B-stock 2600 and 3600 units. The 3600 "seems" comparable to the 808 but is more money for sure. The 2600 is slightly more than an 808 but it's 7".

I don't believe support would be an issue with either as I trust Curt and Elite both. I know Curt goes through the units and checks them out aswell so it's not like buying on blind faith. Not to mention he helps out here quite a bit aswell.

The question is more of the ability of the two and if the extra money spent on a projector still being made(and new/near new tubes) and is worth the price difference?

Thing I'm also unsure of is using a constant heigth screen with an 808 as it only has 2 choices for any input. VGA input is 5/95 such as when being fed from a htpc. Would this NOT be a problem if I used a 2.35ar setup for 5 and played 1.78ar within it? Then use 95 for 1.33ar on it?

I hope I'm making sense. The thing I'm worried about is the screen being small. As it stands my wife says absolutely no bigger than 72" wide. This would give ~30x40 1.33ar screen, ~30x54 1.78ar screen , and finally ~30x72 2.35ar screen. This WOULD be constant heigth.

I guess you could use 1.78ar and play 2.35ar within it. This would allow ~40x72 1.78ar, ~40x53 1.33ar and ~30x72 2.35ar screen. It would NOT be constant heigth but seems to allow a larger picture in most situations.

Can you ever please a woman? Screen is to big but at the same time the picture isn't big enough!

I guess I need to see what the majority of the viewing we do now is but plans are mainly for dvd viewing and HD when more is carried on satellite.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Brad,

Bob Wood would be the person to answer your question since he has both of these projectors. Hopefully he will chime in on this thread.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Wait a sec. The 808 in good shape should be more than either of the AmPros. Have I been pricing wrong?..;-) I guess you're talking B stock with super low hours though on the AmPro, so I guess that makes sense....

I can defintely support the 808 better than the AmPro, but I guess the reverse can be said for Elite. I have had both projectors as well, and I would personally prefer the BArco for brightness, but you're splitting hairs as to overall pix. I'd like to hear Bob's opinion as well...

THanks!

Curt

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I think you would be happy with either the Barco 808 or the Ampro 3600.

I think either one will give you a very respectable home theater experience.

Neither one has to apologize for picture quality. The Barco is about the easiest of all makes to set up. But the Ampro is not difficult once you get the hang of it. Some Ampro users have incorporated cooling fan mods to alleviate the possibility of the HVPS and CRT card failures. So if you do opt for the Ampro I would search for the technically oriented posts on this topic by Ray Cendroski, Thurman Witte and others. And it may be that the guys at Elite are making these changes (don't know).

In any case you will be treated right either buying from Curt or buying from Eric at Elite.

http://members.cox.net/bobwood21/AVSIG.JPG
http://members.cox.net/bobwood21/sultan.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.