AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is an Ampro 4200? I know there out of biz but what can it do?

Thanks

Chip S.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ampro 4200G:

Light Output: 400 lumens (focused)

CRT's: 9 inch lc, mag focus, Schelmpflug focus

Resolution: 2000 x 2000 lines

scan freq horiz: 15khz to 85khz

scan freq vert: 40hz to 150 hz autolock

rgb bandwidth: 120 mhz

lens options: 4 versions

memory: 50 screens

regristration: digital

weight: 175 lbs.

power: 600 watts

build date: 1992/1993

Anything else I can give you?

Ray

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray. I'd say that pretty much covers it.

Chip S.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it worth $500.00 US W/no burns in working condition?

Chip S.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
For what it's worth here's one that was described to be in pretty nice condition (emphasis on "described") which probably did not sell for the $799 minimum. I say probably after looking at the buyer's feedback record.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1284456161

In my opinion if the one you're considering does have good tubes and is working then you can pay $500 (especially if the wired remote is included). It's a lot of 9" projector for that comparatively small amount of money.

There is a lot of different opinion about AmPro in home theater circles. Many people won't touch one with the proverbial 10' pole. Others (me included) have been buying them cheap and using them right along and are very happy with them. They do seem to be prone to a couple of problems. Those being failure of the high voltage power supply and the neck boards. Since the HV power supplies are not repairable and no longer in production it can sometimes be expensive to locate replacements. And that is something to take into account if you don't have other units on hand for parts when needed.

But, generally speaking, AmPro offers about as much CRT bang for the buck as anything. And when everything is working okay the 4200 can make an outstanding picture.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Chip,

Bob summed it up very well. The risk/reward factor at that price is probably in your favor. I used mine for a whole year without any problems, then I had the neckboard problem, and a few months after that, the high voltage Spellman power supply failed.

Be aware that Ampro never produced a service manual for the 4200 series. I've spent endless hours inside mine trying to figure out how it all works. I've been using a 2000 series manual which gets me through about 75% of my questions.

I think the neckboard problem on mine was heat related. I added a 12 volt cooling fan to each heatsink, and the problem seems to have gone away. I think the power supply failure is also heat related, and plan to add a fan to it soon.

All that being said, I really like mine a lot. It really is an awesome performer.

Bob,

I'll send you an email shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.