AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from 16 hours of driving to pick up what appears to be a nearly mint ampro 3600M. The story I got from the seller was that it came out of a major university. It has 163:17:31 on the crts and 901:22:18 on the unit. Just looking through the lenses the green tube has some faint even 4:3 wear, the others appear totally clean.

The best part was the price...... $350!!!

Need some help though... all the settings are write protected. How do i unlock the unit?

I literally just got it home I'm sure i'll be posting more questions soon.

Gonna start searching for the answer now... just had to post first though.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it unlocked.... that wasnt too hard.

Now i just need to get it to display video. I've got it hooked up to rgbs. Nothing's coming up on the screen. Do i need to set up a new input like on an NEC?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got video too now... I like the concept of these wired remotes but the interface seems clunky. Takes some getting used to I guess.

On to the convergence!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest problem i've run into is the phase setting..... Even when it's at max there is still a small section of the screen wrapped around on itself on the left side of the image. Right now I'm using 1024x768 from my laptop through an extron rgb-109 plus, using RGB and combined sync to the projector.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You do realize the hour meters in AMpro's are day meters don't you ? That number for the crt on hours is 163 DAYS(3912 hours). With Ampro's the raster will wrap around the sides of the tubeface by about an inch on either side if you don't use the blanking to back it back to the center. You should email KennyG, he's the Ampro 3600 setup expert, as he's had one setup to perfection already, and investigated the capabilities of the projector to their fullest.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do realize about the days versus hours. Since the 3600M units were used for rear projection with a max width of I think 62 inches, it seems that the tubes arent driven as hard. Just looking through the lenses the CRTs seem in pretty good condition, and I couldn't see any wear evident in the projected image. Unfortunately I'm not going to have access to the projector agian until next weekend, but that gives me a week to read all the ampro posts on the board and read through the manuals.

Chris

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Chris,

What kind of setup are you planning with this, rear projection or front projection and what screen size?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the setup I'm planning to do floor mounted front projection, with the projector in a vented hushbox/coffee table.

Screen width I'm undecided on yet, the max specified width for this projector with the short throw lenses is 64" but I think with my room I'd like to have more like 70-80. I have total light control so brightness shouldn't be a problem. Once I get home for winter I'm going to do some expirementing before I decide on a final screen size, but I don't think the room is big enough for any more than an 80" screen. After I decide on a final size I'm going to build a 4:3 screen and hopefully a motorized 16:9 masking system.

Over the weekend I just did a rough setup, that guided setup is so nice. I didn't have my tools with me so I couldn't do the schiempflug (sp?) adjustment. I also didn't have any video source with me other than a laptop so I didn't get to do any watching. I've got the operators manual and I have a source for the service manual so between those and reading old ampro posts on the forum I think I'll be ready to go at it when i get home next weekend.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.