AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Add wheels and you could enter it into Robot Wars..;-)

Curt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hey Bob,

Looks pretty cool. What did you do about the two large case fans?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thurman,

The fans you miss seeing are not on this model.

We have examples down here of both the 3600 and the 3600P. Interestingly the 3600 has those two fans on the top of the case (like the earlier Ampros) but they eliminated them on the 3600P which is the model you see in the photo.

The 3600P was the very last model produced at Ampro. This example was made in 1998. I still can't figure out why they used the "P" designation. I was told it was to indicate Panasonic tubes. But the 3600 and the 3600P both have Panasonic tubes. Go figure.

Bob

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to mention one other thing. Of the half dozen 3600's I found half of them had very low CRT hours (1000 and 1200 hrs). But the others had almost 25,000 hours on the original CRT's. And believe it or not they were still making a mighty fine image. So I fully expect that the one I'm using which now has 1200 hours on the CRT's will probably last me for the rest of my life.

Bob

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Bob,

Ampro must have completely redesigned the circuits that put out the heat. Do you still have a 3600 you could check the circuit boards on and compare to the 3600P, especially the neck boards and the two boards on the drop down panel with huge heat sinks?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Bob,

Have you found a service manual for the 3600P?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have examples of both on hand. The neck boards are exactly the same. But I'll take some pics of what's on the drop down panels of each and post them to this thread for you. What I remember is that the boards and heat sinks are pretty much the same parts. But the component side is on the outside of the panel on the 3600 but was turned around and put on the inside for the 3600P. I'll look at it more closely again and get the pics but I don't think we're going to find much of a change in the PCB's themselves. Only in how they mounted them.

We got our hands on a 3600/4600 service manual (Kenny bought a photocopy from Elite and I haven't seen it yet). But unfortunately I don't think it covers the "P" version or any changes with that.

p.s. one improvement you would like is a change in the Spellman used in some of these. A lot more venitilation holes in the case so it probably won't overheat as easily.

Bob

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thurman,

I don't know how helpful these pics will be. But as you can see the boards are on the outside of the panel on the 3600 and on the inside of the panel on the 3600P. I am at a loss to understand how those heat sinks can dissipate the heat when they are now inside the confinement of the projector case not to mention that the one pair of cooling fans was eliminated. The two projectors are not in the same building so I can't really compare the boards to see how they differ without having them together (my aged observation abilities require that, haha). Hopefully Kenny is seeing this and he can give you more info on how the boards differ (if they do differ). He's been pulling both models apart and tinkering with them.

p.s. Brad (Boy and His Ampro) are you out there? Am I remembering right that you have a couple 3600's? Are they the same? Are either of them the "P" model?

Bob

http://members.cox.net/xanadu/36.JPG

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I thought those fans were used to provide cooling for the heatsinks on the neck boards. Maybe they changed the transistors on the neck board to ones that do not put off as much heat.

I saw that Brad has one of his in the classifieds.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got mine set up tonight for the first time after putting it on the ceiling.

I'm watching Leno in HD as we speak. I wish you could see this, Thurman.

This thing's picture puts to shame any other Ampro I've owned. And my 808s. Try to find one.

This is going to be the last projector I buy. I just don't think I will ever need to improve on this. I'm sure there are others out there that are superior. But this one is it for me.

p.s. after about an hour of warm-up my system temp is 48 and my power temp is 47. Does that sound okay? What is typical for your Ampros?

Bob

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Bob,

My 3300 ran about 47-51 degrees. When it got any higher than 51 it would start eating neck boards. My 4300 runs between 40-45 degrees.

I have noticed that when I am watching a DVD through the HTPC that the temp does not get as high as when I am watching an HD feed.

I have noticed a big difference in picture quality going from a 3300 to a 4300. Part of it could be that the tubes on the 4300 have about 800 hours. But now I want to get the guts from a 3600P and put it in the 4300 :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to come late to the party.

All the boards on the 3600 and 3600p are the same. I have checked each one, all the part numbers & rev letters are the same.

The only difference is in the way they mount the boards on the access panel.

After analizing the way these pj's cool (by pressurizing the interior and forcing air past all heat sinks to get out the vent holes) I can tell you the two access panel fans are not for cooling the neck boards. One of those fans has a cardboard deflector to blow it's air to the heat producing boards mounted at the back of the mother board. I believe that when they went to the "one piece" access panel, the chassis became more air tight, so they could pressurize the inside and move just as much air with fewer fans...so they dropped the two access panel fans for the 3600p.

I have now eleminated the two main fans...while dropping the temp on my neck boards by 11 degrees, and the focus board temp from 148 to 134 degrees, also my power supply and internal temps are 32 and 36 degrees.

I have installed a vacum system that pulls air from the empty holes those two fans used to be in, I also added 1" holes above each neck board, and a series of 7/16 hole below the neck boards. I created a vacum manifold out of a tin paint roller tray.

Service manual is the same for 3600 and 3600p

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The 3600 series is a complete redesign, and not compatable with the 3300 or 4300.

Andre tried to use a 4300 neck board on his 3600...no go.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine's gonna need your thermodynamics expertise, Kenny. My temps are starting to edge up above 50. Maybe I need to upgrade the 5000 BTU window unit in this dump. :)

p.s. I finally get the projector of my dreams set up and working in here and wouldn't you know it my Dish 6000 decides to take a crap (pardon my French). This home theater gig sure aint for the faint of heart.

Bob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Bob it's murphy's law!

Yes being on the ceiling, and having those fans pulling air right off the ceiling is a problem. Kind of a crappy design if you ask me.

Anyway your problem will be easily solved...however the pj will have to come down off the ceiling for the mod...and it's going to have to hang about 6" lower than it is right now.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Kenny. No prob on it having to come back down. It's gonna need a new setup again anyway when the bigger screen arrives. But I may have to compromise on the 6 inches. That would bring it down to the top of my head. :)

Bob

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bob

What happens if you come across a excellent good 9" at a great price. I can see it happening to, as it sounds like you are always checking what's out there.

Deron

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deron,

With this projector I've finally reached the point where I'm satisfied. The little bit of additional 9" light output and the little bit of additional 9" resolving power are not really very significant to me. What I'm seeing is that good. The picture is sharp sharp. Until my STB quit in the middle of The Tonight Show I was seeing 1080i detail being displayed as sharply as I have ever seen it. A G90/9500LC might do it better. But I honestly don't think the difference would matter to me. And it's a moot point because I don't have the money to buy one. :)

With everything I've drug home up to now - all the dozens of digitals and previous CRT projectors - with every one of them there has not been one that after staring at the picture for a while I was not left with the feeling that something was lacking. I enjoyed what I was seeing for certain. But there was always something. Not enough light. Won't focus tightly enough. Can'd do dark detail well. Hot whites. Blooming. Etc. etc. ad infinitum.

This projector is a new experience. I just sit there with my jaw dropped down and I'm not thinking anything is lacking.

Bob

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.