AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup dudes, I have an annoying problem I can't fix. I recently bought 3 Audiosource 100 amps and I run them bridged, one to each of my front stage. My issue is, no matter how I power them, no matter the combination of power strips, power conditioner, even powering them with an outlet from a different room...I can't get rid of the loud, nasty, scratchy popping sound every time I power up the amps. It's so bad it sounds as if it's going to cause damage to my speakers.

First, what, if anything can I try to fix this?

Second, would a better 3 or 5 channel amp like the Emotiva XPA3 or 5 not have an issue like this due to higher quality electronics? Keep in mind, the AUTO ON feature with these Audiosource amps doesn't really work well so that is not an option. It really sucks, because the actual performance of these things is great for the money

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
All of them have the same problem? If it was me, I would be calling the seller/manfacturer

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I have helped install the AMP 100's several times now and never had this issue.

If you disconnect the source? Only speakers connected? does it still do it?

Sure all your bridging is correct? I run Amp 1/A's myself bridged as mono blocks.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
It's possible your AVR is outputting d.c. or some "bad" signal the amps are passing at turn-on... Do what John sez and try to isolate the problem. I would (in order best to worst) use shorting plugs in the amp inputs, short the input cables with clip leads, or unplug the inputs from the amps before running the test.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER
I have helped install the AMP 100's several times now and never had this issue.

If you disconnect the source? Only speakers connected? does it still do it?

Sure all your bridging is correct? I run Amp 1/A's myself bridged as mono blocks.
Yes, even with RCA's unplugged, the amps still cause the sound in my speakers when they power up. I'm running them bridged and followed the manual to a tee. Switched the bridge switch to the "bridge" setting. And wired speaker wire just like manual shows.

I called Audiosource and the guy on the phone did tell me that these particular amps do not have relays in place to prevent unwanted eletrical noise from entering into the equation during power up.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I suppose you could try a power conditioner of some sort in case it's in the power, but I would do this mainly if you could borrow one or return it if it did not help. I don't remember hearing screeching in an amp unless there was feedback, just a turn on "thump."

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
I suppose you could try a power conditioner of some sort in case it's in the power, but I would do this mainly if you could borrow one or return it if it did not help. I don't remember hearing screeching in an amp unless there was feedback, just a turn on "thump."
I already have and use one!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have no more ideas, except trying avery variable, such as unplugging everything but one amp connected to one speaker without bridge mode, and if the problem repeats, try each of the other amps.

If all 3 do it, it's still not impossible all 3 have a flaw somehow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
I have no more ideas, except trying avery variable, such as unplugging everything but one amp connected to one speaker without bridge mode, and if the problem repeats, try each of the other amps.

If all 3 do it, it's still not impossible all 3 have a flaw somehow.
No offense, but what's the point? There is no way I'm keeping these if I can't run in bridged mode, you know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.