AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am installing 3 LR5's and 4 Sr3's and considering using Theta Enterprise mono blocks front and Dreadnaught II for surrounds. With Theta's position lately I'am a little leary about shelling out for these amps. Would like to know what others have used ?

·
Registered
21,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzi /forum/post/12909179

I'am installing 3 LR5's and 4 Sr3's and considering using Theta Enterprise mono blocks front and Dreadnaught II for surrounds. With Theta's position lately I'am a little leary about shelling out for these amps. Would like to know what others have used ?

I'm using my Enterprises and loving them with 4 Aerial 9s and 1 Aerial CC5.

But I certainly understand your concern about shelling out anywhere near retail on these amps given the current situation with Theta - though ATI which purchases Theta is an amp company and the Theta amps gives them a high end line.

I had Bryston 7Bs before and the Enterprises wipe them out sonically, although the Brystons I had thought were excellent trusty performers.

I got a super early summer deal on the Enterprises which is long over now. I am so glad I got them. My audio has been transformed thanks to them.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis /forum/post/12911614

McIntosh, B&K and Anthem

I'm a big Mac fan. But I think they are a horrible combination for Aerial speakers. I agree with Steve that the Theta Enterprise are great choice. I would also recommend the Parasound Halo JC-1 Monoblocks as a great match for Aerials.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzi /forum/post/12909179

Aerial 9s have six drivers, four of which use alot of power so monos make sense. In that vein shoot for a fast amp at around 300w/channel at 4ohms. Spend the extra 100 and biwire.

What preamp are you using?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use an Aragon 8008x3 for 10T's and a CC3B, and have been very happy with the combination. The Aragon amps of this vintage are pretty affordable used and had the current capabilities to work well.

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
With an MSRP of 4500 each in standard configuration, or 4800 each in performance configuration- the Enterprise carries a hefty $$load. Having used them during CES as subwoofer amps, they are certainly beefy, and shouldn't have any problems running the Aerials.

However, Steve's coment that Theta gives ATI a high-end line is not accurate. ATI as a brand may be viewed as "mid-level", but their performance is actually anything-but. Since I'm unfamiliar with the design of the Aerials- are they bi-amp capable? Is the low-pass crossover passive? If so, you could get the ATI 3002 that carries an MSRP of $1995 each, and have 300W for the top-end AND 300W for the bottom-end of each speaker for half the money of an Enterprise (and they're also fully-differential, just like the Enterprise). The amps were designed by 2 different people, and follow 2 different philosophies- but I'd be willing to bet that there's very little performance difference between the 2 amps.

ATI has not had the benefit of the "legendary" reputation-building power of Stereophile reviews, or The Absolute Sound, or any of those rags- but these are the same people that designed/built SAE (prior to the sale to the Japanese in the 80s). And there are some pretty serious companies that feel that ATI has their act together enough to build amps for them....might be worth the listen.

the AT3000 series ranges in price from $1995 for 2 channels up to $3995 for seven channels rack-mount or standard mount.

I'm sure that there's folks here that will argue the point that a simple-looking black box couldn't possibly sound as good as the venerable Enterprise; but I promise it can give it a run for its money...and at half the price.

BUT, if you want the Enterprise- go for it. THETA IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE, they will be around for quite some time, and the amps are practically bullet-proof (and make great space-heaters
).

I guess I just don't understand where the trepidation comes from regarding Theta, the amps are anything-but obsolete, the one preamp they have currently is long-in-the-tooth but is still one of the best-sounding out there (actually neutral- no sound of its own), the company is striving to get 2 brand-new products to market, AND they've been around for something like 10 years (or more)- meanwhile how many companies do you see each year at CEDIA or CES that "almost" have product and are in their first year...then you never see them again?

Yeah Theta's had a pretty bad past couple years, and have fallen behind the curve with technology- but that ONLY applies to the ONE processor they currently sell, not to any of their other products (most of which are amplifiers). The Gen VIII is perfectly fine, and doesn't at this point require any upgrade. Meanwhile the Dreadnaught II, Intrepid, Citadel 1.5, and Enterprise are every bit as viable now as they were when they were introduced.

Dan

·
Registered
553 Posts
My bad you were referring to Lr5s....with that in mind they use the same drivers and I would still apply same advice, although u probably will be looking to add the aerial 12 sub with that setup to get low. You may be able to avoid that by substituting the 9s for the lr5s in the front.

With that in mind I agree with Dans opinion regarding current theta products except the cb3. I own a strictly 2 channel system with the Gen 8 and Enterprises and it is amazing, although I am adding the Aerial 12 for a further step up in low end so maybe my opinion will give you some foresight on the lr5s.

Again, preamp choices must match your amplifiers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAIN64 /forum/post/12913938

My bad you were referring to Lr5s....with that in mind they use the same drivers and I would still apply same advice, although u probably will be looking to add the aerial 12 sub with that setup to get low. You may be able to avoid that by substituting the 9s for the lr5s in the front.

With that in mind I agree with Dans opinion regarding current theta products except the cb3. I own a strictly 2 channel system with the Gen 8 and Enterprises and it is amazing, although I am adding the Aerial 12 for a further step up in low end so maybe my opinion will give you some foresight on the lr5s.

Again, preamp choices must match your amplifiers.

Not worried about the bottom end. I'am using 4 JL Audio Fathom F113's.

The preamp I'am using is an Anthem D2 currently.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzi /forum/post/12916363

Not worried about the bottom end. I'am using 4 JL Audio Fathom F113's.

The preamp I'am using is an Anthem D2 currently.

HaHAHa......Ummmmmmmm you would be correct sir.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing /forum/post/12914778

Why?

Because I think the combination sounds harsh, and makes me want to run from the building screaming. However, your mileage may vary. But I still recommend trying the Halo JC-1's with them.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/12921190

Because I think the combination sounds harsh, and makes me want to run from the building screaming. However, your mileage may vary. But I still recommend trying the Halo JC-1's with them.

Did you like the JC-1's as amps?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use Bryston 14B SST for the L/R, 7B SST for the CC, and 6B SST for the rear, and surround. Not so sure (IMO) that the Theta amps outdo the Bryston by as wide a margin as Steve suggests. I demo'd the 9s with the Theta gear, processor and all, and still ended up with the Bryston amps. They are VERY moderately priced for what they are capable of. And, I think that they compete very well with the Theta gear, now, a bigger step up would be Levinson, but even then, the differences are so subtle, the major price difference isnt worth it. JMO

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for everyone's input. I think I'll just trust Steve's assement on this combo. After all lawyers always tell the truth
I just came across a deal I just couldn't pass up and have purchased the Theta Enterpise mono blocks.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/12921190

Rutgar, the newer Mcintosh stuff is not. I think you have/had the MC2500. I wouldn't buy any Mcintosh stuff made before about 1995. I think that's when they started to make good solid state. The older stuff is just not my cup of tea. I have the MC501s. I have not heard them with the Aerials but have with a lot of other brands. If anything the new stuff might be accused of being too mellow and lush in the midrange. Usually the MC501s are recommended to reduce speakers that can be harsh , like JM labs.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/12982183

Rutgar, the newer Mcintosh stuff is not. I think you have/had the MC2500. I wouldn't buy any Mcintosh stuff made before about 1995. I think that's when they started to make good solid state. The older stuff is just not my cup of tea. I have the MC501s. I have not heard them with the Aerials but have with a lot of other brands. If anything the new stuff might be accused of being too mellow and lush in the midrange. Usually the MC501s are recommended to reduce speakers that can be harsh , like JM labs.

I think it just might be Aerials and Mac for me. The room at RMAF that had the Aerial 20T's and Mac amps didn't sound good to me either. However, I thought the all Mac room itself sounded great. It was one of my favorite rooms! Maybe it's a Mac synergy thing!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts