AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys -

youve probably had this question many times over, however, I wanted to know...

I have some MP3's at 320Kbps and some Flac audio files(lossless) at 2012 Kbps...I really cant tell the difference of the two...The flacs maybe might have a little bit better highs...

Question is: Do I need a amp to even notice or take advantage of, the lossless audio? I have a laptop with creative x-fi surround 5.1 usb sound card, connected to my logitech Z-5500 surround set via Cheap Toslink.

I do want to mention, the thing I do notice an improvement in, is 24bit/96hz audio files, and DTS audio files (my preference)

Question is: Would I benefit in getting a $100 Monster Toslink cable, compared to the one I have now ($10 toslink bought at target)

thanks guys...Just wanted to know if the only way to dicern the difference in lossloss is with an amp reciever connected?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
For some reason, I think you have mostly answered your own question when comparing FLAC to 320 kbs MP3
I personally think differences are minor once you get past 128 kbs MP3, but that's me. If you want to be sure of what bitrates you can tell the difference on, have a friend switch between different rates on the same song.

As for the cable, no - don't spend $100 on a Monster cable. That's outrageous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts