AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Cerwin vega fan from way back and at the moment can get a CV-5000 for 999 aussie dollars vs the inuke 6000 for 749 with the DSP. I love big old iron amps that give you a hernia to move them but so many of you guys like the light weight Inukes its messing with my buying mind. I will be buying 2 Dayton UM 18-22 drivers and building something like the full martys. Or I would really liked to go sealed if I can get the low Hz I crave.
Please make up my mind for me.
How many sealed 18 in subs can I drive with the CV-5000?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I had a cv-5000 that I was using to power 4 18s. I liked it, but just didn't need it any longer, so I sold it back in the spring.

The answer to your question re: How many? I'd say 4 with 1250W each. Obviously you could wire it many different ways to power 8 or 16 or whatever.

I don't have any problems with the cv-5k. I have considered buying a couple inukes but I'm just not the type to buy the cheapest option.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
In the US the NU6000DSP goes for $400, and the CV5000 twice that, thus the popularity of the iNuke.

You can run two Um18s in parallel per channel on the CV. If you want to maximize the low end output, size the box to match the power you have.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Seriesed and paralleled and you could run dozens. However the power will be split between them all.

You need to calculate the power you'll need to get to Xmax with your chosen EQ on and make a decision based on that. Realistically, looking at the amps specs as well as the drivers one or two (in parallel) per channel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Deciding which Amp to go for what type of driver and or ported or sealed is harder than making the things.

My room is 22f long 14f wide and 8f high with 2 doorway width openings . I currently have a PB13 which seems adequate but I want more.

So I'm figuring two large ported boxes should do the trick which makes the Inuke 6000dsp the most likely choice.

If I went with the Cerwin Vega I could go 4 sealed boxes but do I need the DSP? The Cerwin has a couple of filters in it.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
I believe the nu6kDSP was tested as putting out 2kW RMS per channel, a 30A breaker would be ideal, but many "make do" with a 15A, which is 0.7kW RMS x2 with quick bursts to 2kW x2.

Given how light, small and cheap the nu6kDSP is, it is no wonder it is so popular.

They have to step up to a FP14k clone and miniDSP just to get 3-6db louder, which is twice the price.

Not sure if they ever fixed the limiter issue with the nu12kDSP...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
IMO, every sub should have DSP to be able to EQ response. But in terms of what you need, ported needs a proper HPF to limit excursion. Sealed doesn't require DSP, but often ends up using something to flatten response out. In that size room, I think you might be better if with two large ported bixes; the larger the better.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Deciding which Amp to go for what type of driver and or ported or sealed is harder than making the things.
Seriously? Most of the design work has already been done for you. At least all the design work for the tools and the how to.

If I went with the Cerwin Vega I could go 4 sealed boxes but do I need the DSP?
Irrespective of which type of speaker you choose, DSP is an advantage and most likely a necessity.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
if you have the space, the big ported cabs are the way to go, as they provide up to about 12db more output around the tuning frequency (relative to their sealed counterparts). if you want the most output in the smallest space and money isn't as important for double drivers and double amps, then sealed may have some advantages.

dsp is required to provide a protective high pass filter. this prevents the drivers from over excursion below the tuning frequency. a minidsp is a low cost option that works just fine.

um18 in mini-marty cabs tuned to around 17hz powered by an inuke 6000dsp is a very popular home theater combination. i don't think you can go wrong with the full marty subs or the cv5000 amp and minidsp. all would be great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Now its decision time.
Most obvious choice is 2 Marty subs with UM18-22 and a Inuke 6000.

Should be able to do that for about $2000 Aus and sell my PB-13 for about $1700 so pretty good value for 2 18in subs Vs 1 PB13.

Will that get me 6db more output at 16hz than the single PB13?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Most obvious choice is 2 Marty subs with UM18-22 and a Inuke 6000...

...Should be able to do that for about $2000 Aus and sell my PB-13 for about $1700 so pretty good value for 2 18in subs Vs 1 PB13.

Will that get me 6db more output
at 16hz than the single PB13?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Most obvious choice is 2 Marty subs with UM18-22 and a Inuke 6000.
Good choice, but I should mention that it will likely be cheaper to get the UM18's directly from PE than through the local supplier. Also, if the amp will be in the room, I believe it will need a fan mod. You'll also need a calibrated mic and maybe a preamp to measure them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good choice, but I should mention that it will likely be cheaper to get the UM18's directly from PE than through the local supplier. Also, if the amp will be in the room, I believe it will need a fan mod. You'll also need a calibrated mic and maybe a preamp to measure them.
hopefully the fan mod will not be a problem, I love messing with electrical stuff also have the Dayton calibrated Mic to use with REW.

Nearly finished my first sub build a clone of the PSA XS15 so I will start measuring once the Shellac dries.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did not buy the Cerwin Vega CV-5000. Nearly ready to start building the Cabinets for the 18inchers.

Should I buy the Dayton UM 18-22 drivers while there available? Will order through PE.
The amp I can wait and keep looking for a good deal. Plenty of options for Amps in Aus but not many for Sub drivers.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Plenty of options for Amps in Aus but not many for Sub drivers.
Huh? Plenty of options. How much power at what impedance are you looking for? I use Quest QA4004. Aussie made too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I haven't found a shortage of amps for sub's in Oz .Got a good price on a Camco .

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Huh? Plenty of options. How much power at what impedance are you looking for? I use Quest QA4004. Aussie made too.
As much as I can get for as cheap as I can get I suppose. Rather have to much than not enough.
Store DJ has the Inuke 6000dsp for $741 at the moment. Seems a good price.
Can you get the fans for the mod in Aus or do I have to get them from Amazon which charge a fortune for postage?

I would of got the Cerwin Vega but apparently they need a fan mod as well.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Store DJ has the Inuke 6000dsp for $741 at the moment. Seems a good price.
You're not going to better that price for the
Can you get the fans for the mod in Aus or do I have to get them from Amazon which charge a fortune for postage?
Don't buy anything through Amazon. Get the model # of the fan and google it. Somewhere local or at least cheaper will have it. Try element 14 in Aus.

I would of got the Cerwin Vega but apparently they need a fan mod as well.
Most pro amps do, those that don't are the rarer of the lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts