AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this story has not played out completely, but I think some people might find this in-progress report interesting. :D

We have read several accounts of how people have been both successful and unsuccessful in getting a life-time activation transferred from one ReplayTV to another. I was successful in transferring a life-time activation from a ShowStopper that died to a refurbished 5040 I bought from the ReplayTV store about eight months ago. Since then, I have not read of many successes.

Many months ago, my son bought a dead ShowStopper off eBay for the life-time activation. He planned to transfer it to a 5040 refurb he would eventually buy. With five children ranging from infant to adult in the house, some of his personal projects get sidetracked pretty easily. Then there's the rabbit, the chicken and now three dogs. And let's not forget the live-in boyfriend of the oldest girl.

So he finally got back to the ShowStopper / ReplayTV activation transfer project. After a few phone calls to ReplayTV this morning, and being told it wasn't possible, he was stubborn enough to keep trying and got the right guy who simply said, "Sure thing. Give me the serial numbers and I'll take care of it right now." So after giving the serial numbers and some other information, there was much typing and the guy said, "OK, it's done. It will take up to four hours for the server to fully update and you'll be able to get your 5040 on the air with full activation." :D

So, I'll be reporting back tomorrow to verify it got done right.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle
With five children ranging from infant to adult in the house, some of his personal projects get sidetracked pretty easily. Then there's the rabbit, the chicken and now three dogs. And let's not forget the live-in boyfriend of the oldest girl.
Jeeze, with THAT overhead, I'd have expected to see warp drive perfected before a Showstopper activation transfer happened!

It's all I can manage to get my car's oil changed on time!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Why don't "Smilies" work?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
...P.S. Why don't "Smilies" work?
Under the buttons for "Submit Reply / Preview Post / SpellCheck", is another section with "Additional Options". Make sure the "Disable smilies in text" box is not checked... :eek: :cool: ;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the update I promised . . . . .

It totally worked. :D My son now has a life-time activated 5040 that has had the life-time activation transferred from an old dead ShowStopper. :D

Again, it required several phone calls and not taking "no" for an answer. What he had to do was get the right person who knew how and had the right facilities available. He and I are guessing there may be more than one technical support site or section, one of which has the right stuff to perform the transfer. He just had to keep trying until he found it. When I did it, I was lucky and got it done in one phone call.

So . . . Yes, you can transfer the life-time activation from an old dead ShowStopper to a refurb 5000 series ReplayTV.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That's good news. I was contacted directly by DNNA when they were selling out the 4xxx's and was told specifically that these could be used as a spare, and activate in place of a dead one. Glad to hear it's really possible. I took them up on the offer and have 2 boxed spares waiting. So far only a few drives have failed so I haven't needed to pull out a spare.

Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
What I heard, if you already have an account, a case number; all you need to do is to tell them you had called before you bought your spare one. Your son is certainly lucky: children, rabit, chicken, dog and a working Replay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's time to kick out the live-in boyfriend of the oldest girl.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Or the oldest girl and her boyfriend.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko711
It's time to kick out the live-in boyfriend of the oldest girl.
Yes, but descretion is the better part of valor.

Assuming, of course, that you are capable of it.

Regards,

Warren

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I just called Replaytv to get a activation transferred from a 3060 to a 5508. After that was completed, I asked if I could get my two Showstoppers activations transfered if I bought two more refurbished units. I was told NO. She said they were doing it for awhile but then policy was changed a few months ago and promised me that there will be no more Showstopper transfers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle
Many months ago, my son bought a dead ShowStopper off eBay for the life-time activation.
Is that legit? I would have thought that buying a known dead unit just to snag the activation would be a "no no" and they would have balked at that right away.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be confusing your perceived personal morality with the way the ReplayTV Activation Technical Support people implements their company policy. Yes, my son bought a dead Showstopper, just for its lifetime activation. From the point of view of ReplayTV he is the legal owner of a Panasonic Showstopper; which he is. This Showstopper is dead and he wants to transfer its lifetime activation to a good modern ReplayTV unit. This is no different than when I had a dead showstopper and wanted to do the same thing. The only difference is the history of the particular Showstopper in question. Mine was bought new and was in service for some years and then died. His was bought new by someone else, used for years, died and then sold to him. Since it's legal to buy and sell these units, there really is no difference in their legal status at this point, in my opinion. And the technician at ReplayTV seems to have implicitly agreed, since he did transfer the lifetime activation without hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadefreaque
Is that legit? I would have thought that buying a known dead unit just to snag the activation would be a "no no" and they would have balked at that right away.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Your assuming replay knew the showstopper was dead and your not the original owner at the time of it's death.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Is that legit?
What it is, is moot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
The only way they would likely know that is if you told them. There is absolutely no reason you should tell them.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The ReplayTV Activation Support technician will check the call-in logs for the serial number of the dead Showstopper to see if it hasn't called in for a while (I'm not sure how long a while is, but I waited 10 days when I did mine.). If it hasn't called in for a while, they will take your word for it that it's dead (not that it really matters -- read on). What they do next is delete the Showstopper's serial number from the activated ReplayTV units list, and add the serial number of the "new" one (for me, it was a 5040 refurb I bought from the ReplayTV store). So, in the end, you still have only one ReplayTV unit that is activated. If your Showstopper wasn't really dead, it is now, since it's now a doorstop - no activation.

This is not cheating. When I bought my Showstopper, it came with lifetime activation. Lifetime activation is not hardware - you can't see or touch it. It's a contract with ReplayTV that they will provide me with a service for as long as they are in business. I paid $600 for my Showstopper; part of that was for this lifetime service. I am still getting what I paid for, only with new hardware I bought from ReplayTV. If anything, ReplayTV is the one making out.

Someone originally bought that Showstopper that is now dead. My son bought that Showstopper, along with the lifetime service activation. The contract with ReplayTV to provide the lifetime service activation is not dead. And that contract is being exercised by my son with new hardware he bought from ReplayTV.

No one is being cheated. No one is stealing anything. The hardware and the lifetime service activation may be bought and sold like anything else.

I am a software engineer with an advanced degree in computer science. I also have a degree in electronics engineering, which is what I used to do for a living. One of the big differences between these two closely related disciplines is that electronics engineers work with tangible things, while software engineers work with intangible things. I still find it amazing how the managers I work for still have trouble with the concept of intellectual property verses hardware they can touch and see. Just because you can't touch and see something, doesn't mean it isn't real and have value. And often, you can buy and sell this intangible stuff just like it was something you could hold in your hand.

So, let's pretend that lifetime activation is something you can touch and see. Let's say it's a small box that connects between your ReplayTV unit and the internet. Now, is that easier to accept as something you can buy and sell, and even use with another piece of hardware?

On a related subject; you may have to call several times to get the right technician. My theory is that there is one ReplayTV support facility that still has the ability to change the activation database. You may need to keep calling until you get the right place where they seem to have the knowledge and ability to make the change. I say this because my son called in, got someone who would do the job, but needed to call back because he didn't have one of the serial numbers he needed. When he called back later and asked for the person he had spoken to by name, he was told that person didn't exist and they could not do an activation transfer. So, he called back and got the other place, got the original person he had spoken to and did the transfer.

When I did mine, I got lucky. It took one phone call and in 20 minutes my "new" ReplayTV was fully activated and ready to start recording shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34
Your assuming replay knew the showstopper was dead and your not the original owner at the time of it's death.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
What it is, is moot.
ah.. okay.. I don't see how it is "moot", but anyhow..

I simply asked because I had not considered that a legit thing to do. Since they are tight-lipped about service theft here in these forums, I thought I would ask. You see, I have a couple non-working showstoppers that I bought really cheaply figuring that I could use them for parts someday if something busted on my aging showstoppers. I have transferred a broken unit's lifetime sub to a newer unit before, but never considered buying broken units for that purpose. Guess I shoulda done the transfer with these two old units long ago if this is an acceptable thing!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
has anybody tried a showstopper to 55xx transfer recently? i have a dead one here but never tried doing a transfer.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The problem with arguing whether it's OK or not to transfer activation from a dead ShowStopper (or 2XXX/3XXX series ReplayTV) is: the concept of activation did not exist until the 45XX series ReplayTVs were introduced.

Prior to that, you were purchasing a ReplayTV or ShowStopper with guide service included. They were not sold with "lifetime activation", neither the concept nor the term existed then.

Prior to DNNA ownership of the company, activations - even on newer models - were not transferrable. The "lifetime activation" was for the life of the ReplayTV.

The fact that DNNA has transferred some activations is a great benefit for those who have taken advantage of it, even when they transferred it from a unit that was never sold with "lifetime activation".

To buy a dead unit that was sold prior to the concept of activation, and then expect the company to transfer that (non-existent) activation to a new unit is questionable at best, unethical at worst.

But then this country has a large population that seems to thrive on trying hard to get something for nothing. :(

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is of course true that the idea of purchasing a lifetime or monthly service activation separate from the ReplayTV hardware came after the Showstopper. It is also interesting to me that these older machines are treated the same by the ReplayTV activation server. That is, a Showstopper can have it's built-in lifetime activation removed, and essentially transferred over to a machine that came without any service activation at all.

I sold my dead unactivated Showstopper for parts to someone very familiar with the ReplayTV service activation process. If he had repaired the unit and attempted to call in to the ReplayTV mothership, he would have been greeted with a message that his Showstopper was not activated and it would have hung up on him. How is that different that with a 5500?

ReplayTV chose to sell the earlier machines with the lifetime service bundled into the price you paid at the store where you bought it. The lifetime service activation has always been functionally separate from the actual hardware, but at the time was not separate to purchase. Nor was the monthly service activation available.

So, make the call. Transfer that lifetime service activation to a "new" working machine. You'll feel much better. :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.