AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have a delimma...

I am currently running a set of Definitive Technologies Mythos Gems as my front speakers, with a Yamaha NC-225 Center Channel and four cheap HTIB speakers as my rears and presence.

I am looking at moving my Mythos Gems to the Rear Channels, getting In-Wall speakers as my Rear Backs, and a new set of something for my fronts.

Now the real question is should I try and bite the bullet and get Def Tech speakers all around, drop the cheapo speakers as well as the Yamaha Center or just continue to mix things up. I was looking at the Def Tech Mythos Solo to fill up the front... Too many options....

The room is about 12x15, the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1700

Any constructive help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Matching speakers is very important to achieve good sound and proper imaging in any HT setup,So keeping the brands matching makes a better system all around.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You have to be the judge. Run the pink noise test from one speaker to the next to the next... Do they all sound the same, or relatively close? If not, they are mismatched. (You can generally run this test using the button on the AV receiver's remote.)

Always plan on getting rid of "cheapo" speakers, no matter where in the mix they are located. Upgrade as you can afford to, while knowing that the most critical speakers are L-C-R.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Presence" speakers are basically extended front speakers as surround backs are extra surround speakers. The presence speakers add a bigger sound field and so far are a Yamaha exclusive...

For the record I picked up a set of Def Tech BP7006's, moved the Mythos Gems to the surround area, and a Boston Acoustics P450 center (for a KILLER price)... all in all LOVE THE NEW SETUP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.