AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Dish Network. I got something in the mail promoting $230 programming savings. No surprise that at least part of this involves reupping with Dish for 2 more years.

So I asked the rep (Dana) about not getting certain HD channels, even though I am paying for TurboHD Platinum - the highest HD package. That led to a search around their web site for a listing of TurboHD programming. She couldn't find it. I couldn't find it. I was on the phone for over 30 minutes. She was friendly enough, but could not explain to me what Dish's programming packages are.

I told her, I could not re-up for 24 months without understanding what it is Dish is doing.

Anyone else have a similar experience? This experience is enough to cause to evaluate other options.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Those are the "add-on" channel listings. You only get them if you also subscribe to an SD package (with corresponding channels). It's different for the all-HD Turbo Packs.

For instance, I know that you don't get Fox News Channel with the Turbo Packs. There are a few others, too, I believe (but I don't know them offhand).

That's how they get you to sign up for the more expensive SD packages w/HD add-on.

It's bogus, for sure.

(edit: Hmmmm. I don't see the "Turbo" packages specifically listed on their site anymore. They used to be there. There's been talk that they were eliminating them (for new customers). Either they've actually done that, or they just don't want to advertise them anymore, and they want people to think they can only get HD as an add-on now. Actually, if you ask over on the Satellite Guys or DBS Talk forum, I'm sure they could tell you everything, including what channels are withheld).

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/16991927

Those are the "add-on" channel listings. You only get them if you also subscribe to an SD package (with corresponding channels). It's different for the all-HD Turbo Packs.

For instance, I know that you don't get Fox News Channel with the Turbo Packs. There are a few others, too, I believe (but I don't know them offhand).

That's how they get you to sign up for the more expensive SD packages w/HD add-on.

It's bogus, for sure.

(edit: Hmmmm. I don't see the "Turbo" packages specifically listed on their site anymore. They used to be there. There's been talk that they were eliminating them (for new customers). Either they've actually done that, or they just don't want to advertise them anymore, and they want people to think they can only get HD as an add-on now. Actually, if you ask over on the Satellite Guys or DBS Talk forum, I'm sure they could tell you everything, including what channels are withheld).

If you look at the link I posted is says TurboHD right in the link name. From teh info I could gather they apparently don't offer it anymore. Shame really I was seriously considering going to Dish and the TurboHD package was the reason. I appreciated a company offering HD only without having one have ******** SD channels they don't want. After all if I have a HDTV and the HD version of a channel why would I want the SD version? Now that they apparently don't offer HD only I guess I'll go with DirecTv if I decide to drop cable. I was hoping that the TurboHD concept is one that would catch on with other companies. Guess not now that Dish decided to be stupid. Oh well their loss.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Check those websites I mentioned to see if they still have Turbo HD or not. They might. I really don't know for sure, like I said. Just 'cause they don't advertise doesn't mean they don't.

It's just that they don't give you all the HD versions of the channels in the corresponding SD package - they never did. They give you most, except for a couple or so, like FNC (well, they did up until they added the last few, anyway).

You don't even have to register at those sites - just read, and if they really cut out the HD-only packages completely, there should be plenty of current, ongoing talk about it.

I'll check there myself later tonight.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/16990913

Her you go. took less than 30 seconds to find it.

http://dishnetwork.com/turbohd/default.aspx

Appreciate the effort. But that is not the TurboHD programming. Those are HD add-ons to existing SD programming packages. Believe me, that is exactly as far as the CSR and I got.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Dish's programming packages changed as of 8-1. As I understand it, Turbo is gone. The platinum package is also gone, but those channels are now included at no cost if you have other HD add-on programming. Try calling back and asking for customer retention. They may be able to explain it. If you qualify for free platinum, check your bill and if the charge is still there call to get it removed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is a guy over on the US satellite guys site reporting he moved to Turbo Bronze this past Tuesday the 11th after previously being on classic 100. There are many options available from Dish that are nowhere on the web site including the encore channels for $4.99 and the welcome pack for $9.99

1 - 8 of 8 Posts