AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had this disc for a while and didn't open it due to some bad write ups but i watched it tonight and found the pq to be rather good to great.

first of all i'm watching on a sony xbr2 46 lcd

as soon as i popped it in i noticed grain in all areas and thought "oh well, this is a pretty old film" until i set the tv to "vivid" mode turned down the bright colors and set the noise reduction to "high"

to my surprise this produced an extremely satisfying picture. clean, smooth and detailed.

i'm posting these comments because i'm just wondering if hd dvd's have an ability to be "processed" (in this case by my tv) much more than standard dvd's.

i'm not exaggerating when i say the resulting pq was fantastic.

it elevated what would have been considered a not so good pq to
wow that's very good!

anyone else try this?

· Registered
750 Posts
Sure, I've tried it, and was nearly sick. The film is meant to look grainy. The problem with this disc is not the grain but rather the intrusive edge enhancement.

· Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles /forum/post/0

Sure, I've tried it, and was nearly sick. The film is meant to look grainy. The problem with this disc is not the grain but rather the intrusive edge enhancement.

It's not meant to look grainy. It was short in the dark with little lighting. To do this you use a fast film. You end up with a lot of grain. If you could shoot in the dark with no grain then the director would have done that. So, it's not meant to have grain, but has grain because there were no other options, apart from bright lighting.

I get confused by so many replies that a film is supposed to have grain. Mainly just war films have delliberate grain. People often say that Steven Spielberg films have delliberate grain in them, because he chooses grainy film. AI has a lot of grain, but it's futuristic, and therefore I can't see a director choosing grain in this case. I think that Directors often just stick with a film format that they are used to.

I'm not a big boot licker of directors. If they have grain, and it doesn't fit the situation it looks bad. I will always think it looks bad, and I don't care about the director's intent.

· Registered
750 Posts
By "meant to look grainy" I mean that the original materials looked grainy, and as such this look should be replicated on the HD DVD. You're making some rather strange judgements about directorial intent - how do you know a director would want a grain-free image just because a film takes place in the future? Minority Report also takes place in the future, but Spielberg has talked extensively about how he and his cinematographer purposefully selected grainy stock to accentuate the rawness of the film. Fair enough if you don't like the look of grain and don't care about the director's intent, but many of us do and don't particularly want the preservation of our favourite films to be dictated by those that think a spotless, grain-free image is the be-all and end-all of cinema.

· Registered
2,068 Posts

Quote:

I can honestly say I never noticed any intrusive EE when I watched my copy.

I was happy with the quality of the disc, and when I turned it over to demo the dvd side again, and then flipped it back to compare, I was ecstatic! I thought it was a beautiful rendition of a fairly low budget, low frills, genre film.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm not getting it because they used the 2001 HD master, this is 2007, a lot has developed since then.

I'm not double dipping on this one, they gotta do better than that!

· Registered
719 Posts

Quote:

By "meant to look grainy" I mean that the original materials looked grainy, and as such this look should be replicated on the HD DVD. You're making some rather strange judgements about directorial intent - how do you know a director would want a grain-free image just because a film takes place in the future? Minority Report also takes place in the future, but Spielberg has talked extensively about how he and his cinematographer purposefully selected grainy stock to accentuate the rawness of the film. Fair enough if you don't like the look of grain and don't care about the director's intent, but many of us do and don't particularly want the preservation of our favourite films to be dictated by those that think a spotless, grain-free image is the be-all and end-all of cinema.

Steven Spielberg is always saying that he chooses grainy film. His intelligence is dubious. To spend all that money on Shiny vehicles, with clean glass. Shiny computer screens, shiny floors, marble interiors, reflections off every surface. Then cover all that gleam with grain is a contradiction of what you are trying to achieve. I just think that directors are like artists, they just talk themselves into the limelight, and expect everyone to believe what they are saying.

· Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

i didn't notice any edge enhacement at all. i wasn't looking though. i was staring at the clean edges though so you think i would have noticed if it were bad.

can you name a scene?

· Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng /forum/post/0

i didn't notice any edge enhacement at all. i wasn't looking though. i was staring at the clean edges though so you think i would have noticed if it were bad.

can you name a scene?

The whole film. There's really not much point in naming specific scenes. It's present from the very first shot to the very last and is VERY invasive in any shot featuring actors standing against the sky, or the horizon in the various shots of the moors at the start of the film.

· Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking at the beginning of the movie with the hills against the sky there is a slight bit of edge enhancement.

the rest of the movie is clean. i can find bits here and there if i'm about 5 feet from the screen and looking mainly for it by scanning for bright against dark but even then it's ever so slight and only once in a looooooooong while.

this movie is absolutely worthy of hd dvd and i believe it is getting a bad rap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.