AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a catalog from Markertek. Dont know why I received it, but I am not going to complain. They have a machine called the Blue Flamepro (nice name). It can convert analog video to and from IEEE1394 DV. Now is this DVI or is Firewire something completely different? It goes for about 3K. My question would be, could this be used to connect a sat receiver with a projector that doent have firewire in or dvi in. If they make this type of unit, I am sure they will be making a analog to dvi converter. Pricey yes, but if you spend 10K plus for a dila,it might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Sadly, this doesn't sound like anything that would be useful to us.

DV is the "digital video" standard that a lot of consumer and prosumer cameras are using these days. It's NTSC, 25Mbps, and resembles motion-JPEG in that it compresses every single frame rather than doing a frame-difference algorithm like MPEG.

It's not HD, it's not copy protected, and it's definitely not DVI. It looks like the Blue Flame Pro is a deluxe box with component inputs and outputs and such, but boxes that take component and S-Video and do this quite well can be had from Sony for about $500.

So, in short, I'm afraid it's useless for HD content.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just got the same catalog, and I also don't know why. If you notice, it has the Sony unit in it as well, and I believe it's selling for $399 (I don't have the catalog with me). As previously pointed out, it doesn't do anything to solve the HD copy protection issues, but if the DScaler folks would put in a DirectShow interface, it would be an interesting solution to the whole noise issue with analog capture cards. Sony takes their video VERY seriously (that unit is actually called a "prosumer" product), so I'm sure the video would be clean. Yes, DV is DCT compressed, but only at about 4 to 1. DV was designed to offer a lower bandwidth standard definition video signal than SDI, with a nearly imperceptible drop in quality.

A DirectShow interface for DScaler would also offer other advantages, such as the ability to rip problem DVDs (like Anime), and play them back through DScaler, rather than a Software DVD player, and also the ability to run MPEG-4 files through DScaler.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.