Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone associated with Dell who may be reading this,

Earlier today I posted some insulting comments to this forum

which were aimed at Dell. After reflection I now realize that these remarks were uncalled for. I know there must be many fine folks employed by this company who don't really deserve to have to hear that. Please accept my apology.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
280 Posts
Starting this thread was a classy thing to do, Sultan Bob.

Maybe Dell's management did drop the ball by not calling a meeting earlier and making sure all the salespeople and customer reps were on the same page.

OTOH, I must plead guilty to being too vocal in my cynicism. Now that Fed Ex has my projector in its possession, I feel rather ungrateful for all my harping and questioning. I also feel somewhat crazy for all the hours I have spent on this forum, reading every single word posted on the topic.

Sorry, Dell, and thanks for saving me $900.

Mike

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I never doubted Dell, but many did...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I did.

I still can't belive this actually panned out.

there were just too many good, sensible reasons for this deal to go bust. i was always waiting for the 1st shoe to drop...and when they started pushing back delivery dates, i thought for sure that was it.

whats funny to me is, when i ordered on the phone the rep told me it would take 5 days to prep and about another 5 days to ship. i hung on this board every chance i got the last 2 weeks, and after reading post after post about people getting delayed notices, and being told by 2 other reps not to expect anything to arrive for some time (as long as 3 months!) the pj shows up today...1 day EARLIER than my rep told me to expect.

i hope everyone else gets theirs in a timely fashion and gets to enjoy some big-screen entertainment before the summer is over.

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run the I.T. group at a biotech company and have been using Dell to purchase computers, software and peripherals for about a year and a half. I've bought two projectors from them for the office in the past, I bought a LT150 (after the special price http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif , but did get it for $2100 with the 20% off coupon http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) and I am patiently awaiting my unit. I have to say about some of the folks who are posting impatient (yes, that's politically correct) remarks, please remember that Dell is primarily a company that sells PC's, not peripherals and especially not projectors. I have bought things in the past from my account rep for peripherals and they will sell to you anything that can be purchased from the large computer distributors (like Ingram Micro and Tech Data) and they have been about 85% likely to beat the price of any large company (like Microwarehouse, CDW or even my local computer VAR) out there on the market. I have always been extremely happy with their quality of service, availability and price. It seems to me that we all know that the AVS forum members who got the extraordinary deal on the LT150 benefited from an error on their part. Dell honored that cost (and so they should), but you can’t expect that they were able to anticipate stock on hundreds of these NEC projectors that they typically sell dozens of in a week. I’ve worked at a computer reseller in the past and here is truly what is going on. They (Dell) had stock of a certain number of units, for argument sake let’s say about 50, they knew if they ran low on stock that the ERP systems within the company would automatically order more when they got to a lower stock number that triggered a reorder, since this would typically be another 50 they don’t have a problem getting more and they typically show up in a matter of days. The reorder would be placed to either a large computer distributor like Ingram Micro (more likely) or direct from NEC themselves (less likely). I’m sure that they overran their in-house stock within the first few hours and then placed an order with the distributor and are awaiting units. By now, those units have also already been shipped and they are probably waiting for Ingram Micro to get them more units. Ingram Micro will have to get them from their source (this is NEC). My internal Dell rep couldn’t find the original price on the NEC either and she is an awesome representative, but since they sell literally thousands of different items, when the computer system removes the pricing, it is gone. They would have had to know about it themselves (since this was a web special only) to know the price once it is pulled. A company that is totally aware of putting an awesome deal on the market will stock up, but when it is due to an error, they will get broadsided, which is what I expect happened to Dell, and judging from posts from folks whose order said that it would be a few weeks and then they got it in a few days, Dell is doing just that.

Respectfully to all, when we are awaiting the best new toy to hit our houses, we get a little impatient with Santa Claus. Please don’t feel like I’m berating anyone, I’m not. I just wanted to let you all know how the biz typically works since I’ve seen it from the inside. I don’t work at Dell, but I’ve worked at a company like that in the past and I understand how the supply and demand is handled within that market.

And yes, the public posting of an apology is a real class act. Bravo to you all.

------------------

----------------
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.