AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was at my parents watching the AFC championship last night-go Colts-anyhow -after the game I was watching some disney pixar movies on their pioneer 5070 and a yamaha upconverting dvd player. I have the same t.v-that's why they got one -they saw my t.v. and got one very soon after. Anyhow-the disney pixar movies looked incredible on the pio 5070-with only a regular dvd player. I have 2 plasmas, bedroom and living room and I have 2 hd dvd players-a1, a2. I have to tell you that with the ability of the hd dvd players and their upconverting ability, the difference would have to be minimal from what I saw of the pixar movies to the stupid blur-ray mortgage borrowing players and the pixar movies on Blur-ray machines. Yes I have seen the screenshots on this site comparing the two-but-I think if you really need the Pixar movies-they are still 90% of what you would see (or notice) when they are upconverted. And anyhow, do you think little kids really will notice any difference between an awesome upconverted image on hd dvd and the "real" hd image on a Blurry machine. (sorry cant think of any other ways to take shots at arrogant,stupid, maverick, do it our own way sony at this moment)-what are some other good nicknames for the machines that are pricing themselves right out of the market? I hope sony crashes and burns a horrible death in this war-price will be the deciding factor. 50, 000 for a bmw-or 100 thousand for a mercedes-ummm-looks like a bmw sell out.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
3D animated movies don't benefit all that much from HD. One of the reasons why I don't really care that Blu-ray has Pixar movies initially. There's not enough nuance in the color gamut for animation to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Animated movies and cartoons have no details, only color gradients. So they scale perfectly once the upscaler take rid of the jagged lines of the silhouettes with the interpolation.

So, Disney support for HD is useless for both parts.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I saw people saying some of the same things about "Ice Age 2" on DVD and Blu-ray. There was a very big difference between the 2 on my screen, although I have a 10' wide screen, and some others were surprised about how much difference there was also. Besides that factor, those who think the Disney group is just about cartoons probably aren't considering things like "Sin City", "Kill Bill #1", "Kill Bill #2", "Pearl Harbor", "Pulp Fiction", etc, that they control.

I suggest that people compare something like "Ant Bully" on DVD and HD DVD and see if they still think there is little or no difference. On many displays I'm sure there is (just like there isn't much difference between regular SD and HD DVD on some displays), but this would give people some idea about whether there is much difference on their display.

After seeing some of the DVD of "Cars" after seeing it from a digital cinema projector, it won't be difficult for that BD to look way better on a really good display than that DVD does, IMO.

--Darin

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

3D animated movies don't benefit all that much from HD. One of the reasons why I don't really care that Blu-ray has Pixar movies initially. There's not enough nuance in the color gamut for animation to make a huge difference.

What about advanced audio? Does anyone consider that, as well as picture quality? Just asking. For me, better picture and better sound go hand in hand. For others that feel the same way, Pixar on BD may have something to offer.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
So you can't see the difference between upconversion and HD in 3d animated titles. Even if you put aside that fact that plenty of other can tell the difference, how does that help you out for live-action majority of the Disney catalog? (Pirates of Caribbean, Enemy of the State, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Pearl Harbor, etc.)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
While I think animation and CG benefits less then live action from HD, it still does benefit, and movies such as Corpse Bride, Monster House and the cartoon clips in the HD DVD, Robin Hood illustrate this pretty well.

Disney also does a large number of live movies in addition to animation and CG.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wont kid myself by saying I dont care Disney wont be on HD DVD. The library of movies is awesome and even if, (big if) you cant tell a difference in video, what about audio? That is as, if not more important to me than visuals. Imagine Cars in trueHD lossless surround 7.1. That will be awesome no matter how you chop it up. I'm not trying to knock you guys as I was a devoted HD DVD enthusiast who hoped for the best last year, but since I got my PS3, the XA1 has got to be nervous.

·
Registered
27,596 Posts
I though the OP was goingto suggest a Blu ray player....

C'mon 480i DVD is never goiing to pass as 1080P HD no matter how well it is upconverted. You're just fooling yourself...

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I realize the HD version of an animated title will look better but the performance delta between the SD version is going to be smaller than your typical film IMO. I don't have even have a 5ft screen so it's not going to help me.

I don't think many of us are trying to say we don't care about HD Disney/Pixar movies. Its just that many of use don't want to be forced into buying into another platform to get said titles. If the SD versions look good upscaled then it makes things a bit easier to wait and see how things shake out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlittle /forum/post/0

Hey everyone, I was at my parents watching the AFC championship last night-go Colts-anyhow -after the game I was watching some disney pixar movies on their pioneer 5070 and a yamaha upconverting dvd player. I have the same t.v-that's why they got one -they saw my t.v. and got one very soon after. Anyhow-the disney pixar movies looked incredible on the pio 5070-with only a regular dvd player. I have 2 plasmas, bedroom and living room and I have 2 hd dvd players-a1, a2. I have to tell you that with the ability of the hd dvd players and their upconverting ability, the difference would have to be minimal from what I saw of the pixar movies to the stupid blur-ray mortgage borrowing players and the pixar movies on Blur-ray machines. Yes I have seen the screenshots on this site comparing the two-but-I think if you really need the Pixar movies-they are still 90% of what you would see (or notice) when they are upconverted. And anyhow, do you think little kids really will notice any difference between an awesome upconverted image on hd dvd and the "real" hd image on a Blurry machine. (sorry cant think of any other ways to take shots at arrogant,stupid, maverick, do it our own way sony at this moment)-what are some other good nicknames for the machines that are pricing themselves right out of the market? I hope sony crashes and burns a horrible death in this war-price will be the deciding factor. 50, 000 for a bmw-or 100 thousand for a mercedes-ummm-looks like a bmw sell out.

i dont agree, maybe a upconverted looks almost as good on a smaller tv but using my A1 upconverting to my Panasonic AX100 Even CGI movies dont look close to being HD. I am watching on a 92" screen. The Ant Bully on HD-DVD is a huge difference when you watch it on my projector.

]

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Unbelievable. Classic case of sour grapes.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoP /forum/post/0

Animated movies and cartoons have no details, only color gradients. So they scale perfectly once the upscaler take rid of the jagged lines of the silhouettes with the interpolation.

So, Disney support for HD is useless for both parts.

Unbelievable. If you actually believe what you're saying, I don't understand why you're wasting money on any HD product.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have some CGI animated movies on my DVR such as Madagascar, The Incredibles, and Chicken Little, and I can tell you there absolutely IS a difference between the HD versions and their DVD counterparts. Yes, the Pixar SD-DVD's look great upconverted, but when you watch the HD versions, it's like a veil has been pulled away and you see much greater clarity, color, and especially detail.

'I want my, I want my, I want my HDTV...'

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,187 Posts
An upconverting DVD player!! So, that's the solution! I would have never thought of that. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.