AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here we go--hold on to your wallets!

I was somewhat skeptical when a forum member (littlegto) called to tell me about a remarkable discovery she had made: a single device capable of improving video and audio without having to do any major renovations. Sensing my incertitude, Tina snickered, then offered to bring this miracle device over to my house so I could be forced to eat crow. Bring it on!

I was even more skeptical when I first laid eyes on the unassuming black box; other than a cute 1950's style logo on its front panel, the only impressive thing was its weight (over forty pounds).

I followed Tina's instructions and plugged my projector, DVD player and audio amps into the unit (around back there is no less than a dozen sturdy three-prong Hubble outlets, and out from the middle comes a thick, no-nonsense power cord). I then fired up the system and waited about ten minutes before putting in one of my favorite test DVDs (Star ship Troopers) and killed the lights.

My wife, Susan, was the first one to speak. She commented on how the overall image seemed more vivid than usual. I kept staring at the screen while thinking how the image did seem to take on a more three-dimensional quality. It was more film-like and seemed less digital, it took on a more realistic look. The blacks were definitely deeper and contrast was improved, which of course made the colors appear even more striking than usual.

Tina then brought my attention to the soundtrack. I went to a battle scene and cranked things up a bit. There was an improvement in the sound stage and when I tried some music CDs, the music was cleaner with more texture and had much smoother bass. Okay, I was sold! "How much and where can I get one?" :)

www.audiolinesource.com

Cheers,

Peter Milo

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
AVS is a dealer for this product if anyone is interested.

I have one in my home system and also use this in our showroom.

I do see an improvement in the picture. It also improves the audio.

On a linear scale I hear more of an improvement in the audio verses video but it works. My video is cleaner and sharper using this product.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Oh-Oh, I sense another power conditioning debate brewing ;)

I think that the reason that there are so many differing opinions on whether these devices work or not boils down to the reason that they are used in the first place. The quality of power coming in to peoples homes varies and some may see differences and others do not. How many people do you share the transformer on the street with? What is the layout of the wiring and circuits in your home? What time of day are you testing the device? There are plenty of debates over in the AV improvements forum and I think that you should try it out and see if it helps.

I can see the advantage that power conditioning has on a digital projector. After all parts of them are small computers and are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. On top of that the brightness of the bulb is going to depend on how much voltage comes in to the unit as well. Just start up a power tool and see if your lights dim :) What about the speed at which the micromirrors are switched on and off? I feel that this would be affected by the quality of the power coming in to the projector.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
From my experiences, clean power is so vital to both audio and video ! Of course, if one cannot hear or see any improvements, then save your money.

I have my Proxima DX3 DLP projector plugged into a Blue Circle BC-84 PLC. I then made up a homebrew power cord using a Harmonic Tech Pro-AC11, attahced the appropriate connector for the DX3 and installed 2 Bybee devices. The improvments are immediate. I have also seen projectors respond well to isolation devices like the Sympsoium platforms, but I don't have the room to try on with my DX3 installation.

- Andy

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Two grand? Ouch, I thought you said this was an "Easy way". ;)

I live in an area where the power seems to be somewhat clean. Last year I tried Cinepro's top of the line conditioner and while I'm a big fan of the Cinepro gear(owning the 3K6), I honestly had a hard time hearing and seeing a difference. I don't doubt for one second the quality and worth of the product, it just didn't make a dramatic enough improvement for me to justify keeping it.

Chris

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
I doubt that a power enhancer would improve the video on a DLP projector. The micromirrors on the DMD chip are switched on or off and thus are probably not affected by line noise.
I agree with you if a DVI input is used. But if analog inputs are used, I suppose it's possible that AC line noise could cause a bit or so of error in the A/D conversion. LCD panels are driven with analog signals, and thus the pixel stability could be additionally affected by AC line noise.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
My DX3 is connected via DVI out of my ATI Radeon.

Saying that DVI is "immune by design" will raise the debate that digital is digital, cables mean nothing, etc.

There is more to DLP projector output than the merely mirrors turning off/on ... such as the lamp assemblies, scaler electronics, etc.

As usual, let your ears & eyes be the final judge whether to open the $wallet or not :)

- Andy

·
Registered
557 Posts
Far be it from me to start a debate :)

The controversial issues surrounding digital audio are important because a case can be made that jitter in the digital bitstream causes audible effects in the D/A stage. DLP projectors are interesting in that there is no D/A stage at all (except in the viewer's retina... maybe). AC line power could affect the lamp, but the video scaler is software. In fact, if a DVI input is used, a DLP projector is essentially a software device, save for the lamp and optics.

Quote:
As usual, let your ears & eyes be the final judge whether to open the $wallet or not
I agree, as long as the brain goes along with the ears & eyes :D

Dave

·
Premium Member
24,322 Posts
If it helps the video on a DLP, it's likely because of improvement in the video signal before it gets to the pj, not because the mirrors are controlled more "cleanly".

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote from Noah: If it helps the video on a DLP, it's likely because of improvement in the video signal before it gets to the pj, not because the mirrors are controlled more "cleanly".

I totally agree, the mirror theory doesn't hold water. It only make sense that one would like to do anything possible to improve the video signal before it enters the PJ, otherwise why even bother with expensive video processors and high-end DVD players? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Peter M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.