AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know, my theater is relatively near completion (2-3 mos).

I sold my 980 Ultra and am going digital - in particular a JVC G-15.

I'll add a scaler of course (Faroudja or Key Digital).

I also wanted to a dd a Panamorph. I read many of the older posts and followed along as things went from bad to worse.

Still the concept of the lens was quite intriguing since many of us use a PJ with a 4:3 chip and a 16:9 screen.

My throw is fixed at 27 ft. (behind the theater in a PJ room). Knowing that the Panamorph may drop the imagine rather precipitously as the throw increases, I was unsure if it'd fit my scenario. My PJ room has a limited height, thus the PJ can be raised only by a finite sum (~12").

Using the Panamorph website calculations, my screen would have to drop almost 24" reltive to the PJ height!

That wasn't gonna happen in my room.

So after asking around on-line, I decided to e-mail the guys who make the lens. It just so happened that the trio (Paul, Sean, & Tim) live 1/2 hour away.

They graciously invited me over to Paul's house to see the lens in action with a digital PJ. I mentioned my quandry with potential drop of the picture and though they didn't dispute the calculations for such, they didn't not dispute them.

The throw of their PJ was twelve feet. There appeared to be no drop at that distance. Sean says the drop is linear rather than logarythmic. The guys confirmed that at their distance ther was no drop of the image.

So much for the calculation at a short throw.

They mentioned flipping, etc. but, ultimately in my scenario, they recommended raising the PJ the 1 foot that I had and the picture should be O.K. with some tilting of the Panamorph. They did note that some distortion would be normal by doing this.

They demonstrated this by tilting the lens quite a bit. As I watched the image drop about a foot from the screen top, distortion appeared minimal. Mind you I was watching a DVD - not a test pattern. Bottom line, real world the keystoning seemed barely noticeable.

The three guys were quite hospitable, serving up a Bass ale. We chatted a while and looked over my construction prints.

The product seemed well built and absolutely did what it was designed to do. The past is the past. Alan Gouger is behind these guys and from my impressions (just impressions), they seem dedicated to their products and who knows what they'll do next.

It appears to me that they are but a fledgling company that experienced some growing pains, licked their wounds and have gone on. They are after a little good PR, and I can vouch taht they seemed like good guys who are on the up and up.

(BTW - no free or discounted Panamorph for the gracious post. I was referred to AVS!)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Jeff-

Was there any mention of the 2.35:1 model?

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is on the way.

Jeff

·
Registered
719 Posts
You are lucky that you live so close to Visr. Most people have to buy the Panamorph without seeing it in action. I did, and was very happy with it. As you know from our PM exchange, I sold mine in anticipation of the 2.35:1 model (P561). Did you get a feeling for when it will ship?

Did you decide to buy a Panamorph?

I think the power buy pricing is ending soon, BTW.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had the pleasure of dining with the Three Amigos at the '2nd Annual AVS Dinner Extravaganza' :D at CES in Vegas last January and I concur, they are 100% dedicated to making the Panamorph a long and successful project.

Talk about a well rounded team!

Here's my 'pun-alytical' take.

There's Shawn, aka 'Brains'. A man of few words, he speaks in a manner of which I've heard very little of in my life, and I've been in the presence of some pretty great folks. You'll hear no hypotheticals, no pot o' gold promises, no false takes. He delivers the facts, the technical truths, and he does so with the presentation of a man with a PhD.

Then there's the 'Godfather'. Mr. Tim. He takes care of the 'family'. He's a business man. A soft spoken type with a professional demeanor equal to none. Ask him what you will and he'll give you the straight dope. Cross him with inane insultations, and you may just get knocked down with both barrels. No sugar coating here. He tells like it is.

Last, but not least, we have Paul 'Bugsy' James. You want public relations? He'll give you public relations. A man in the know, he's your 'go to' guy. You've got a problem? He's got your solution. He'll be there with you whether it's first out of the box on hole number one(hey, you still owe me a round, Paul) or at last call for alcohol at your favorite pub. I love these kinds of reps. :D

Yes, I believe we'll be seeing some good things coming from these guys in the future. It's really great to see their product a presence on the forum again. After living with this lens since last July, I wouldn't give it up for all the tea in Peking.

Chris

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
SO Chris, you're blaming these three guys for your blind luck in winning the Grand Prize at the AVS CES Dinner Party, eh?????? And what screen did you end up getting for your prize???

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hey Steevo. :)

Yeah, I almost forgot about that. ;)

The force was with me that night, for sure. What a shocker. A brand new Stewart screen. Ironically, a screen was exactly what I needed to complete my HT.

I ended up with a 9 ft wide, 2.35 ratio Firehawk and I love it. It is the one thing out of all the things I've added in to building my HT that Cyndi has ooo'ed and aaah'ed about. Super high WAF. Yeah, baby. :D

Thanks again AVS and Mr. Don Stewart!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.