AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An HTPC will up convert a CSS DVD through Component Cables right?

Everyone is upset that the new up converting DVD players will not play anything greater than 480p through the component cables. Won’t a computer do this through the Component output adapter that ATI makes for their video cards? I have an ATI 8500 DV that I output at 720p to my broken(Won’t turn on every time) Sony GWIII LCD TV. I haven’t tried it yet but it shouldn’t have any macrovision problems with the component output should it? I know this is probably an HTPC question but I wanted to know if the computer would be a better replacement for my old Interlaced DVD player? If someone made a recording device with component-in capabilities would it have any problems recording the High Definition signal from my 8500 DV card? Is their any copy protection on this output? Just food for thought!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried playing a regular commericial DVD through the component outputs of my ATI 8500 DV last night and it seemed to work perfectly! There was no Macrovision strobing or banding visible on my SONY GWIII. Plus the picture was fantastic. It really looked like HD. This seems to be a pretty good way to upconvert DVD's. Now I don't know if you could record through the component cables from a copy protected video but at least you can view it in HD. I have tried the DVI and the component cables now from my 8500 DV and their is no difference between them other than the Black crush that the DVI has because it is a computer spec DVI. Why would anyone want to mess with DVI when the Component cables are really just as good?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can get the resolution, over scan, and sync issues sorted out for your particular TV and Graphics card combo then it should be as simple as plugging in your DVI cable and sitting back to watch an HD movie. However, in reality the over scan issue usually requires you to enter the service menu of your TV to adjust the default values for picture width and height. Can be intimidating but it is actually quite easy.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Use Powerstrip to compensate for overscan and stay out of your service menus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.