AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since "nobody is watching (H)DTV" and currently the broadcast networks cannot count (H)DTV viewers anyway, why not just broadcast their (H)DTV channels sans commercials? (They can run demo loops or program promos at the end of the program to fill time between shows.) If people hear that they can watch netowrk shows without commercials if they get an integrated (H)DTV set or stand alone tuner, that would be a nice incentive. Then when the number of viewers reach some critical mass, they can start playing the ads.

Well, okay, this just benefits mainly us, the people here, and it won't happen, but I can dream... :)

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
This is silly. First of all, the majority of prime time network shows are broadcast to individual stations via satellite. Commercial slots are either from the network or local. The commercials occur during the commercial breaks in the show. To accomplish want you want, the local station would have to cut out the commercial breaks after recording the show and then show it (which couldn't be at the same time as the actual signal is being received from the bird) and then fill it with a loop at the end of the program. Which local station do you know of that would do this? And which network do you know of that would allow this?

The networks have poured a lot of money into DTV. Do you really think they eliminate commercials in any way, shape, or form? And at this stage of the game, the networks know that many are watching their DTV channels.

With all due respect, this is the silliest suggestion I've ever heard. It isn't even something to dream about because it's completely out of the realm of possibility and everything else.

Please don't be too hard on me for my response. You threw it out there, meaning you were willing to accept the responses.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
My local CBS affiliate thinks enough people are watching that they cut local commercials into the network HDTV feed. All the local car dealer ads suck even harder in digital upconverted semi-widescreen too-loud Dolby Digital. I'll put up with it though, KRQE does a good job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.