AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all of us have songs we like to use to test out speakers and thankfully there are many great recordings out there. I just wanted to let you guys know one you might have missed. Matchbox 20's first album has a song called "Hang" (The last song on the album) and it is just awesome. I have listened to it who knows how many times.

The song is basically about a breakup between a guy and a girl and it starts as she is packing up some of her stuff to leave, she leaves some memoirs, as she doesn't want to be reminded and burns some others but the really cool thing is that she is inside and he is outside. It is recorded in such a way that it is quiet ambiently when Rob is singing about her but when it cuts to him the spacial sound stage is opened up immensely, the producer just nails it. The song starts out with just an acoustic guitar and Rob singing and then it slowly adds along the way. As I will be 50 this year I remember clearly when this album came out but it was not until I had much better equipment that I really was able to grasp the full magnitude of how well this recording was put together. As the song goes on you can hear each instrument clearly and there is a strong, but not overbearing, bass and drum line as well. I am able to hear the individual strumming of each guitar separately and very clearly.

I usually listen in pure direct mode with a somewhat humble system when compared to others here but my Marantz SR7012 and a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos ST-L's really do this song justice.

If it has been a while since you have given this one a listen you owe it to yourself to do so. To me the whole song is very well done but the point where the story line switches from the girl to the guy is just awesome in how it portrays her "Inside packing" and him "Outside" is just top notch to me.

Thanks for the read.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
...just added the album to my Spotify account and, WOW!
Thanks man. You nailed it. Love it. No need for me to say all that I am thinking regarding the sound as you already said it.
Funny thing I just read about the guy on the cover of the subject album "yourself or someone like you", suing because he did not give permission to the band to use his picture. 12X Platinum album in U.S..
Just listened to the song "Back To Good" (same album). Shortly into the song there is, I think, a Clarinet playing some low notes coming from the right channel. This is really very pleasant to my ears.
So often, a bands slower songs are their best sounding songs, as they "take things out"...gives the listener a chance to hear in between the notes...
Not sure that this is the right place for this thread, but I'm glad you posted it.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The entire album is pretty good both musically and for demo material. A couple years ago I purchased the hi res files for the album. It's a favorite of mine.

Oh, it's not super hi-fi... But if you can find the acoustic version of 3AM, it's pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
...all studio recordings can, and should be recorded with high fidelity in mind. Unfortunately most consumers, strangely, are only interested in the content.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you guys like it, I think it was a really crafty way of presenting the song and the separation of the two characters the song involves. There are some really good producers out there for sure. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This album came out my sophomore year in high school. I remember cruising with it in my buddies car with his “system”. Lol. Man, those were the days.

I haven’t listened to it for many, many years Then I saw this thread and put it in my amazon library. Brought back some memories and some good tunes. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts