AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is time I stop commenting on others and opened my setup to criticism. I will begin by saying I have two viewing areas in my town house. Both are non-dedicated and are geared more towards watching sports, gaming, and hosting friends.

The family room was decorated by my girlfriend, who has much better taste than I do. The setup is very simple and not full of expensive equipment. In fact the sound system cost me about $200 a couple years ago. The thing amazes me to this very day and I don't have any desire to replace it in this room. It sounds just as good as my parent's Bose systems and fills the room with excellent sound. We use this room for TV watching, rarely do we watch a movie or play games in here. Here are the specifics on this setup:

TV: Samsung HPT5054

Sound: Panasonic SCHT05

Satellite: DirecTV HD box

DVD: An old Pioneer 3-Disc unit (not even progressive scan)

There is an X-Box 360, and X-Box in the pictures, but are rarely used.

This is the only decent photo I have of the room. I will post more as they become available. Now on to the basement, where my better equipment is located.

Here are the specifics on this setup as far as equipment goes:

TV: Panasonic TH50PZ80U

Receiver: Onkyo 667 - from the HT-S6100

Center: Polk CSA3

L/R: Polk RTi A5

Surround: Polk OWM3

Surround Rear: Front L/R Speakers from HT-S6100

Subwoofer: from the HT-S6100

Satellite: again DirecTV

Computer: Alienware - don't know a whole lot about it, my brother had it built

Game Systems: All of these are currently connected: NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, PS2, PS3, X-Box 360, and a Wii

Remote: Logitech 550 (I think?)

The NES, SNES, Sega, and N64 are connected to the TV through a generic switch with sound being fed to the receiver. The systems are tucked away in the drawer below the receiver. The rest of the systems are hooked up to the receiver and are viewable.

Here are the pics:

A view of all the gear and some of the games:

The other side of the room with an old card table (to be replaced with something):

The room needs to be painted and is a work in progress. I am about to let my girlfriend (hopefully soon fiance) loose down there to make it as presentable as the family room. But for now it is a fun place for all my friends to come over and hang out.

I do want suggestions on how to improve it. The second photo shows a "bump out" (about 8' deep, 12' wide) behind the sofa with a foosball table. That area is kind of a whatever area with a computer that I do work on, the foosball table, and a storage rack. I want to do something back there when my room mates move out and that stuff gets moved. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on paint color? I am a Ravens fan (hence all the Baltimore stuff) and I want to keep the sports decore. Be kind

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun bro.. I have the same (Panny TV) as you and receiver.. Funny thing is, I am looking to go with the same Polk front end. I have been doing alot of auditioning at Fry's..

The only thing I would suggest is the sub.. Velodyne makes some great budget subs as does BIC, ED and HSU.. I think that would be a great improvement to the 6100 sub.. Besides that, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Polks..

GO HALOS!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Goldeneye and Link to the Past in the systems, good man. Nice setups.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you thought. Maybe I'm using the wrong wall?

A half wall is the worst place for a home theater.

Usually the sound is off balance and someone always looses out.

I would try placing it on the wall to the right. That way when entering the area the flow is smoother and you don't have to worry about knocking over the CD case. Plus! The couch (moved to where the TV was) would act as a divider helping to distinguish the space from the other areas.

As for the rear speakers. Their relocation would look better and make more sense being spread apart.

*Observation made while not having the complete room dimensions*

So I may be wrong.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I like what you've done with the place.

You and I have quite a bit in common: Maryland, polk speakers, townhouse.

What part of MD are you in? I'm in ellicott city.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You have a great set up. Looks like a great place to sit back and play games, watch movies and relax.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys! It is a work in progress. I haven't lived in the house for too long (about a year) and have been tackling the house one room at a time. With a couple rooms to go we will hit the basement last. Gotta do a lil bit at a time ya know?

When we do work on the basement several things will be resolved, such as storage for DVD's, games, and Blu-rays. We will replace that awful TV console that I purchased a couple years ago (maybe sooner than that, I hate it). The foosball table might be located to another room and the hideous wood table will definitely go. The computers in the back will also be relocated or cleaned up. We are looking at painting the walls a tan or a variation of yellow/gold. Initial plans were green but that wouldn't complement the sofa too well. The molding will also probably be painted white as well.

hrdluck13 - I love the Polks. Some people say they are too bright, but I feel they are just trying to find something wrong with them. I do kind of wish I went for the larger center speaker in the same family, but the one I have is adequate. I am also content with the surrounds, however, if I were to do it again, I would have gone with surrounds that could handle the low range a bit more effectively.

miltcharlie - It is funny you mention the wall. I have tried to figure which wall would have been best, however with the sofa size and the dimensions of the room, the half wall was the only one that would work. The basement isn't terribly large, so in order for me to accomidate the amount of guests as I would like to, this was the only way to do it. I am only 25 and don't expect to be in this house for the rest of my life, so when I do upgrade, I will do everything "right". Thanks for the suggestion tho!!!

Gelinas - lol we do have some in common there. I am in Forest Hill, up in the sticks if you will.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome sounds good. Just a small warning, I don't play mine a whole lot and only have a few games for it. I will definitely play any of the ones we both have tho.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great improvement! I like the speaker placement and mounting...

·
Registered
469 Posts
WOW! Great transformation!

Only thing I would suggest is moving the center to the front edge of the cabinet. You may see an increased dialog since there will not be any reflections from the top of the cabinet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small update: my room mate that lives in the basement will be moving out the end of the month. We are going to tear it all down, repaint the walls (tan-gold color), ceiling (white), and moulding (white). We are also gonna clean up behind the sofa and get rid of the brown table. I will have a card table to take it's place but at my girlfriend's request it will be stored and pulled out with folding chairs when it is needed. I also hope to sell my BMW and take a little bit of the money and purchase a new entertainment console and DVD rack. More pictures will follow.

Oh and if I have a couple extra $$$, I hope to get RTi A1's as the surrounds and move the OWM3 to the rear. The surround left speaker is also going to be moved as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the last picture, the surround speaker is hanging like a light fixture. I do not like this look. What would happen to sound quality if I moved it against the wall behind it where the two ravens picture are hanging?

The speaker sits about 8 feet from the wall now, so figure an increase of 8 feet in distance.

Right now there is a "sound bubble" around the main viewing area, I would kind of like to keep the accuracy in that area. Although I do know that this room is not ideal for perfection...

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed /forum/post/18371060

In the last picture, the surround speaker is hanging like a light fixture. I do not like this look. What would happen to sound quality if I moved it against the wall behind it where the two ravens picture are hanging?

The speaker sits about 8 feet from the wall now, so figure an increase of 8 feet in distance.

Right now there is a "sound bubble" around the main viewing area, I would kind of like to keep the accuracy in that area. Although I do know that this room is not ideal for perfection...

Hopefully, they will fall off the wall.
(I'm a Steelers fan.
)

Seriously, I would not mess with it unless you can set it up temporarily to hear the difference. Although the processor may be able to compensate for the distance change, it may still sound "off."

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
i love video games!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18372786

i love video games!

LOL, as much as my setup would imply that I play a lot, in reality I may get it a few hours a week. I wish I played more, but I have my priorities (my girlfriend, family, friends, working out, etc.). I feel like I never have time to game lol. Most of my games are a combined collection between my brother and I. The Alienware was his and he gave it to me when he needed an upgrade. I don't know a thing about it other than what is on the build sheet.

Could I live without all them? Absolutely. Do I want to? Not a chance in hell.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I received my RTi A1's and moved the speaker location and I love it! Sounds much better and the performance of those speakers are outstanding. My girlfriend and I have picked out a paint scheme and tonight I will begin the process of taking it all apart. I will be out of my gear for a couple weeks
Can't wait til it is finished tho!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Alright, I've got to ask, are you WVU alumni or a WV native?

Oh and nice setup. Definitely a huge improvement what you started from.  I'm sure you're loving it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am actually a University of Delaware alumni. The blanket is actually my room mate's, he went there along with a large number of my friends.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed /forum/post/18506899

I am actually a University of Delaware alumni. The blanket is actually my room mate's, he went there along with a large number of my friends.

Delaware seems like a nice school. Did you have any classes with Joe Flacco?

Congrats on the new polks by the way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts