AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I 'm from the Philippines and Prices of HDTV ready 16:9 TV are very expensive. so in order for me to enjoy the Anamorphic features of my dvd collection I bought a 2nd hand Samsung Direct View Analog 16:9 32 inch TV.

With this analog set how much am I missing compared to the Digital HDTV ready set?

Rak-Rak

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no HDTV broadcast here so this WSTV was used aside from Anamorphic DVD, were VHS and Video CD with Anamorphic Movies and 16:9 Digital8 Handy Cam Home Movies.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You miss out on progressive scan, but you do gain a decent amount of horizontal resolution. Most all DVDs coming out now are anamorphic, which means people with 16:9 displays get 30% more pixels in one dimension. I would say nice purchase if a similar 16:9 digital TV is very expensive by you...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
You miss out on progressive scan, but you do gain a decent amount of horizontal resolution. Most all DVDs coming out now are anamorphic, which means people with 16:9 displays get 30% more pixels in one dimension. I would say nice purchase if a similar 16:9 digital TV is very expensive by you...
I regularly go to malls here and staire all day at a 60 plus inch Pioneer Plasma $8-9K, VERY EXPENSIVE! The cheapest 42 inch LCD by Samsung cost around $5K, a Pioneer RPTV 55 inch HDTV ready is $3.5K.

Since looking at Progressive scan images makes my eyes tired of looking at INTELACE images from my TV.

One day I will win the LOTTERY here and buy my self a nice Big Widescreen TV or just an NEC LT150 with a progressive DVD player and a new 'Acustic-treated' Room for my gears, Ahhhh....It's a good thing that Dreaming is free.

For now I would have to Enjoy my HT gear that Widescreen Review call...."Home Theater with alot of Compromise".

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rak-Rak:

I would love to know how you saw a Pioneer 60" plasma, considering they don't make one yet. If they do, it's a well kept secret.

Only in the Philippines, you say;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Boden
Rak-Rak:

I would love to know how you saw a Pioneer 60" plasma, considering they don't make one yet. If they do, it's a well kept secret.

Only in the Philippines, you say;)
Errrr, sorry for the mix up, i think its just a 50 plus. I'll post the exact size and model the next time I visit the mall. It's just that my face is really close when viewing it, I'm always imagining it as if it was in my small room, my sofa being 3.5 to 5 feet from the Screen.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rak-Rak:

You probably saw the 50" 5030HD, assuming they were showing the current model. The model number may be different where you are, though. If it has a separate "media" box for input devices, with one cable running to the plasma, then it's probably the 5030.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.