AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a couple threads dealing with this issue but not much in the way of replies so here's my situation.

I have a denon 3805 receiver that will not convert the digital audio to analog for zone 2 therefore I need to input both analog and digital from my sound card into my receiver.

I have 2 boxes I've tested this on. One has a razr barracuda AC-1 sound card and the other has a Sondigo Inferno. Both are high end sound cards and are running under vista 32 bit.

Neither seems to allow both digital and analog to be output at the same time. If I use media player it only plays through whichever output is specified as default under sounds in the control panel.

Am I missing some setting which will allow both to play? Is it a limitation of windows media player that I can get around with different software? Is this a limitation of the cards I have and or the drivers? Is this a vista limitation? Something else?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
317 Posts
nope. this has got to be one of the most requested features i've seen from the high end channel, but alas...nothing as of yet.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymg /forum/post/14326294

nope. this has got to be one of the most requested features i've seen from the high end channel, but alas...nothing as of yet.

So what are you saying??? It is a windows limitation then?

·
Registered
317 Posts
i forget where the blame lies, i think it has to do with a combination, of Windows sound features, combined with sound card driver as well. If memory serves me though, it has more to do with the sound card

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
My 2 EMU Cards (1212m and 0404) can simultanously output analog and digital in Vista (& Xp I guess, as it's the same driver for both OPs). Mind you, they only accept PCM.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Lynx 2B can, however, the Lynx2B driver can not pass AC3/DD/DTS data via SPDIF at the moment, only PCM.

I have done it using a Lynx 2B.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider /forum/post/14326343

So what are you saying??? It is a windows limitation then?

For Vista yes, for XP, the front channels, when PCM output is used on an application like playing MP3's through winamp, they output through SPDIF/Analog at the same time... which does bring the issue of the output being "Bit-Perfect" and untouched...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse /forum/post/14328542

For Vista yes, for XP, the front channels, when PCM output is used on an application like playing MP3's through winamp, they output through SPDIF/Analog at the same time... which does bring the issue of the output being "Bit-Perfect" and untouched...

Incredible but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What are people doing for a work around? I guess there is always the option of sending 6 channels via analog...

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse /forum/post/14328542

???

I'm running Vista x64 with an Audigy 2 ZS and I get audio from both SPIDF & analog outs at the same time. I'm guessing it's because I've got AC3-Filter installed (I installed it so I could pass AC3/DTS through to my receiver rather than allow s/w to decode it), and I've got the default sound playback device as SPIDF in the control panel.

--edit--

This will probably only work for PCM sources btw, as AC3-Filter can't decode AC3/DTS & forward it through SPIDF at the same time I believe. In any case it's only something I noticed as a curiosity; I didn't investigate it much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you are trying to do here... are you speaking of for DVDs or other?

in both Vista and XP with my SB Audigy 2 I could pass audio through both digital and analog at the same time, however on DVDs or HDTV only the spdif would work

For games, mp3s, videos etc, all would work through both though.....

if for DVDs and HDTV Dolby Digital and DTS yeah it is a pisser, I would love to be able to have both working at the same time, ticks me off that cheap players and STBs can do it but my HTPC cant.....

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider /forum/post/14325510

I have a denon 3805 receiver that will not convert the digital audio to analog for zone 2 therefore I need to input both analog and digital from my sound card into my receiver.

Was there any resolution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with a ONKYO TX-SR805.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSuk /forum/post/15085515

Was there any resolution to this problem? I'm having the same issue with a ONKYO TX-SR805.

Not that I know of but if you find anything let me know. I have just lived with 2 channel from my htpc for now but it still sucks when you have music with more channels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts