AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I have a question about using the analog audio input on my panny xr55 receiver. I currently have my toshiba xa2 hooked up to the analog input of my receiver. I just purchased a bluray player that has analog outs also. Can I split the analog outs of both players to go into the inputs on my receiver? or if not, is there anything else i can do to use the analog outs of both players or am I stuck using analog out from the xa2 and then using the digital optical/coaxial from the bluray player???

·
Registered
3 Posts
What inputs are on the back of the receiver? Also, it would be in your best interest to hook it up through the digital audio inputs (optical or coax) if at all possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, it has analog inputs on the back and both my players have analog outputs... I dont understand why you would say the optical hooks ups would be best?? I thought you couldnt get the new hi def audio codecs through digital optical or coaxial and the only way to get them was with the analog inputs if your receiver doesnt have hdmi...

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
The XR55 does not have Bass Manager capability for the 5.1 analog inputs, therefore if you have a satellite/subwoofer loudspeaker system you will need to use either optical or coaxial inputs..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats weird! it works perfect with my xa2... maybe that is because it controls the audio settings when in analog and not the receiver???? I dont know about my bd player yet, as I havent received it yet.. My bass is superb and spl measurements are perfect though using the avia disc on my xa2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/12948575

The XR55 does not have Bass Manager capability for the 5.1 analog inputs, therefore if you have a satellite/subwoofer loudspeaker system you will need to use either optical or coaxial inputs..

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar /forum/post/12948501

hi, it has analog inputs on the back and both my players have analog outputs... I dont understand why you would say the optical hooks ups would be best?? I thought you couldnt get the new hi def audio codecs through digital optical or coaxial and the only way to get them was with the analog inputs if your receiver doesnt have hdmi...

I didn't say anything about hi def codecs...and neither did you on your original post. And if you can't get hi def codecs through digital optical or coax ports...how are you going to get them through analog?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar /forum/post/12948699

thats weird! it works perfect with my xa2... maybe that is because it controls the audio settings when in analog and not the receiver???? I dont know about my bd player yet, as I havent received it yet.. My bass is superb and spl measurements are perfect though using the avia disc on my xa2...

The XA2 does have Bass Manager speaker settings for using 5.1 analog out but they are limited...

Also when activated things didn't sound as clean..

But here the best rules of thumb is Trial & error..

See which sounds the best to your ears..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i did say I have an xa2 and bluray player, so I guess I was wrong in assuming people would know I was talking about hd codecs. As for getting them over analog, I thought that since the players had the decoding built in, they processed it and sent it out via the analogs.. or at least that is how I took it from reading all the posts in the hd section.. I just waned to know if you can split 2 outputs to 1 input... I know that on my 300 hd dvd with the audio set to dolby truehd sounds amazing and is a noticeable improvement over having it set a dd+

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout831 /forum/post/12948866

I didn't say anything about hi def codecs...and neither did you on your original post. And if you can't get hi def codecs through digital optical or coax ports...how are you going to get them through analog?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here, maybe this will help explain what I am talking about. According to it you can either use the older analog inputs(if your receiver has them)or you have to use the new hdmi.. digital optical or coaxial will not work....

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...hd-and-dts-hd/

now if I could just find someone who knows if I can split and use 2 rca to 1 connections for each separate input and still have it work correctly??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you have a good point! I bought an Onk 605 for hdmi to replace my xr55 for all this hd audio and once I got it I thought it sound terrible compared to my xr55. So, I returned it and bought an Onk 805. Well, it sounded as good or maybe a hair better than my xr55 using the analogs but definately no where near $800 worth, and it had a couple of handshake issues on hdmi, so I sent it back. So, here I am still using my ole xr55 which sounds superb with analogs and to be honest to my ears I havent found anything worth replacing it with without the cost being a huge difference. In my opinion, the 605 was no where near the receiver SQ wise as the xr55.. thats my opinion though and there are probably others who would disagree..
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/12948902

The XA2 does have Bass Manager speaker settings for using 5.1 analog out but they are limited...

Also when activated things didn't sound as clean..

But here the best rules of thumb is Trial & error..

See which sounds the best to your ears..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
12,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar /forum/post/12949125

you have a good point! I bought an Onk 605 for hdmi to replace my xr55 for all this hd audio and once I got it I thought it sound terrible compared to my xr55. So, I returned it and bought an Onk 805. Well, it sounded as good or maybe a hair better than my xr55 using the analogs but definately no where near $800 worth, and it had a couple of handshake issues on hdmi, so I sent it back. So, here I am still using my ole xr55 which sounds superb with analogs and to be honest to my ears I havent found anything worth replacing it with without the cost being a huge difference. In my opinion, the 605 was no where near the receiver SQ wise as the xr55.. thats my opinion though and there are probably others who would disagree..

The crucial factor for the XR55 and other Panasonic TI Class D AVRs is to what brand/model loudpeakers are connected...

The XR series do not like low impedance, low sensitivity loudspeakers that why the Klipschs' seem to work well together..

Last year, we connected up an XR55 to my Infinity Prelude loudspeakers and the XR gave out a very loud snapping sound when pushed hard.. An even when not pushing the Preludes the XR had a boosted, treblish frequency response so we installed an HK AVR which is a high current design and drives the Preludes loud & kleen..

Here trial & error is the best way to find out what drives certain loudspeakers the best output....

I didn't want to blow my Preludes so we sold off the XR..

We did get an Onkyo 905 about a month ago so that we could listen to DTS Master Audio and the 905 drives the Preludes quite well..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I know speakers can be the big difference.. I am running athena b1s and a c1 center along with a 15" sub that I built with alot of help in the sbwoofer forums a couple of years ago....
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/12949592

The crucial factor for the XR55 and other Panasonic TI Class D AVRs is to what brand/model loudpeakers are connected...

The XR series do not like low impedance, low sensitivity loudspeakers that why the Klipschs' seem to work well together..

Last year, we connected up an XR55 to my Infinity Prelude loudspeakers and the XR gave out a very loud snapping sound when pushed hard.. An even when not pushing the Preludes the XR had a boosted, treblish frequency response so we installed an HK AVR which is a high current design and drives the Preludes loud & kleen..

Here trial & error is the best way to find out what drives certain loudspeakers the best output....

I didn't want to blow my Preludes so we sold off the XR..

We did get an Onkyo 905 about a month ago so that we could listen to DTS Master Audio and the 905 drives the Preludes quite well..

Just my $0.02..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts