Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

Doing some market research. What is the interest level in an analog component capture card that is compatible with DScaler? If you are interested in a card such as this, what do you think a fair price is?

Please also list alternative cards already on the market and their street prices.

Thanks!

Edit: This card would likely have content control. If Macrovision is detected, you would be unable to record in DScaler, but could deinterlace/scale just fine.

Edit #2: This card would input 525-line or 625-line interlaced video. Not HD or progressive.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
since you are asking for opinions i will fantasize a bit:

1 S-video input

1 Component input

1 SDI input

I intentially omitted a composite input - do many people really still use this for scaling? If it was preferable to only make this an analog input card then certainly composite could replace SDI. Include the new conexant chipset.

of course price would always be a factor but this would be THE htpc capture card to have offering most connection possibilities in a single card single card solution.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTK, there are a couple of configuration possibilities. You might need 4 spots on the bracket to do RGBS input, though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My interests would be based upon the answer to this question:

Is the component output of a HiDef satalite receiver unprotected analog?

I am not familiar with the HiDef Satalite receivers so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason: To be clear, this would be a standard definition input--i.e., 625-line or 525-line interlaced video input.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumping for the Euros overnight.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think getting component is less of an issue than the quality. If you could get a noiseless s-video input on the order of some of the external scalers, you would not even need component. On the other hand, you could sell a component input card for $50, but if it was still noisier than a $99 Viewsonic box, I would not think it worth purchasing.

The type of input isn't the problem, it is the quality. This will be tough to fix, as even KBK's hand-tweaked cards have some issues still.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Agreed with Namlemez's comments.

Best-in-class clean composite and S-video for less than $150 would be outstanding. Component input would be a nice spiff over a clean S-video input.

Someone needs to measure and post the S/N and chroma/luma frequency response of the iScan's and Faroudja's S-video inputs of the deinterlacer/scaler world. Use these numbers as a baseline/benchmark, and try to come within 90%-95% of these values for a PC S-video input card.

Market for

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep the opinions coming. Thank you!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would figure that component in would result in a cleaner signal for DScaler to work from just by virtue of having the data split up onto more pieces. I am with Namlemez, though. Noiseless signal will be the most important goal whether you managed component in or not. And definitely include SVideo on the card, too. Really no need for dedicated composite in though as you can easily get a composite to SVideo converter and DScaler has the appropriate settings for dealing with composite via Svideo.

As for costs, I would probably jump on it if it were touted by the forum and cost $150 or less. Up to $200, I would still be seriously considering it. Really, once you get up in the $150+ range for a component these days, I really have to question my sanity. I would definitely give $80-$90 for a superclean Svideo card, though, no question ;-p

Kensai

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
Even more valuable, at least to me, would be a video input card with 3 or 4 clean S-video inputs, one composite input.

How many component sources are there? DVD STB's.

I would like multiple clean inputs for my LD, S-VHS VCR, and another NTSC s-video source without physical switching.
Well, the 3 newest game consoles all have component cables available, and for my Gamecube I would love to use the 480p mode via component video.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but as I understand it, there is RGB and there's RGB. There's RGB as you may find on a European scart connector, and RGB as you may get from a typical NTSC DVD player. And I believe they are incompatible? If the card supports both formats, I'd be interested. At the moment I am forced into using composite over s-video from my digital cable box, although it has scart.

(As an aside, I be interested in knowing how much of an improvement I might get with RGB.)

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
re: "for my Gamecube I would love to use the 480p mode via component video."

The thread starter explicitly stated that the proposed component inout would *not* enable progressive scan rates, only 480i or the PAL equivilent interlaced resolution.

So what would be the point of 480i component over a best-in-class s-video input?

480p - now that would be an interesting input option for capturing purposes, but again is moot in the context of dScaler- the point of a dScaler input card is to *deinterlace* legacy sources!

re: "RGB as you may find on a European scart connector, and RGB as you may get from a typical NTSC DVD player"

I think the main difference is PAL vs NTSC scan rate /refresh rate via RGB.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
re: "for my Gamecube I would love to use the 480p mode via component video."

The thread starter explicitly stated that the proposed component inout would *not* enable progressive scan rates, only 480i or the PAL equivilent interlaced resolution.

So what would be the point of 480i component over a best-in-class s-video input?

480p - now that would be an interesting input option for capturing purposes, but again is moot in the context of dScaler- the point of a dScaler input card is to *deinterlace* legacy sources!
I know he said that, but progressive component input would be the only reason I would be interested in such a product. Kind of s not-so-subtle hint ;)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
even with all the card options available, it sounds like there is still a market for a clean S-video input card for HTPC usage. Dan perhaps this might be worthy of further investigation as a high quality reference card with more than 1 S-video input seems to still be in greatest demand.

I think this might be a difficult challenge given the wide variety of hardware used by everyone but I'd love to see such a design become available.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At the risk of broadcasting my ignorance yet wider:

I'm UK based, and my STB can either output RGB or S-Video via the scart. The difference on my TV is HUGE and it irks me no end to have to feed s-video into the HTPC so that I can blow up all that softness and proudly display it on a big screen.

Assuming I understood the original post correctly I would be very interested in analog component in. I've seen numerous posts inquiring about boards that do this so I assume I'm not alone.

Priced up to $150 and I can rarely resist for toys for long, over that I feel compelled to clear it with level headed family members.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.