Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following Pioneer Elite components:

CD Changer (PD-F27)

PS DVD Player (DV-37)

Receiver (VSX-37TX)

CD Recorder (PDR-19RW)

These are all connected to each other via digital cables (coax. and optical) only. I don't know much about the innards of the components but I've read some information regarding using the D/A conversion in the CD player rather than using the Receiver's.

The only analog connections are DVD (audio) to TV (when not using the Receiver for audio).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
It all depends on which device has the better convertor. A three foot analog cable from the CD player to the receiver is not going to make much of any difference no matter how good or cheap it is. True, an analog cable can pick up noise but at 3 feet it's not an issue in a typical setup.

Then comes the classic optical versus coax argument. Studies have proven a coax connection has less data jitter and can also go longer legnths than optical due to the extreme low power optical output of TOSLINK.

The best test is your own ears. Try each cable set-up and decide for your self.

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Its possible that toslink might sound better in a given system than coaxial if the system has any ground loop problems which the toslink eliminates. The only way to really determine what sounds best is to do what Glimmie said, try them all.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Toslinks will not eliminate ground loops. I personally suggest you use digital coaxial due to the nature of fibre. Glass interconnects are expensive and very fragile. Go with copper.

In rare cases, if you have poor components, a toslink could be a barrier to a potential ground loop. But this would require that one of your components not have very good internal grounding. Using copper as an interconnect between the two would act as a secondary ground, which is extremely bad.

HTH HAND

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

The only reason that I use both coax. and optical is that there are only so many inputs of each type on the VSX-37TX Receiver. All runs are short (1 meter or less).

My question was: Should I be using digital cables (using the D/A conversion in the Receiver) or use analog cables (using the D/A conversion in the CD player). As I said, I don't know a lot about this stuff so I could use some help. BTW, I play music most of the time and my hearing is so poor that it might not make any difference either way.

Thanks,

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tom,

Really the best way to answer that question would be for you to try each kind of hookup yourself and determine which you like best. You probably have enough cords already to try each connection method--though they might be hooked up to other components currently. Easy to fix that though (temporarily, anyway) :)

There's a certain satisfaction that comes from having tried out various options and then settling on what sounds best to us personally. At least I find a certain "peace" or joy in that. . . Somehow I feel it makes the system more "mine", more a "creation".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.