AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Onkyo C-7030 that is hooked up to an older Yamaha receiver and using a pair of Paradigm MiniMK3's. This is my 2channel set up used for CD and vinyl listening. I must say that I'm very pleased with the sound of the Onkyo CD player. Currently it's hooked up to the Yamaha via analog RCA cables. I'm debating switching over to the optical out. Will the sound be that much better by doing so or should I stick w/ the analog set up? What are the advantages to using the optical instead of analog output?

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Will the sound be that much better by doing so or should I stick w/ the analog set up? What are the advantages to using the optical instead of analog output?
There have been many debates on DAC sound quality on this forum. Search function will be your best friend.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Try it and see if you can hear a difference between using the DAC in the player or the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will. I just might have an extra optical cable lying around somewhere. I'll do some testing to see if I can hear the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There have been many debates on DAC sound quality on this forum. Search function will be your best friend.
On a similar note, I am not happy with the analog audio of my two Onkyo C-7030's. To me, the high end is restricted and the mid range is muffled sounding. I note that they have digital outputs available and, being a neophyte to digital audio, could I expect an external DAC with quality analog audio output to produce better, more well-balanced audio than the Onkyo's internal unit? If so, what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
On a similar note, I am not happy with the analog audio of my two Onkyo C-7030's. To me, the high end is restricted and the mid range is muffled sounding. I note that they have digital outputs available and, being a neophyte to digital audio, could I expect an external DAC with quality analog audio output to produce better, more well-balanced audio than the Onkyo's internal unit? If so, what should I be looking for?
What preamp or receiver are you using?

The first thing to try would be to connect the player's digital output directly to your preamp (or whatever you're using).

What's your budget?

There are very good DACs available in all price ranges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What preamp or receiver are you using?

The first thing to try would be to connect the player's digital output directly to your preamp (or whatever you're using).

What's your budget?

There are very good DACs available in all price ranges.
Marantz 2230, 2220B, and Onkyo TX-8020, none of which have digital inputs. My budget is up to $300 if it is possible to make a $150 CD deck sound good. If not, I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts