AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,103 Posts
I like my digital meter very much. I've seen analogs in action and think the digital is easier to read/use. I don't know how many analogs are still out there to be had. Often in RS stores the digital is the only kind left. I don't know if the RS website even still sells the analog.

At least with the newer digital RS meters, they are supposed to be much more accurate in the bass range than the analogs too.

· Registered
28 Posts
I saw in another post somewhere on the forum a link for this RS-clone analog meter, which I was thinking of getting, mainly because I thought the majority of people preferred analog for some reason, but is there a consensus on analog vs. digital among the experts? The price differential isn't that great, so I was hoping someone would recommend one vs. the other type, especially for a novice. Thanks.

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=SLM100

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Personal preference.

I think the digital is easier to read because of the readout. It displays the number, with the bars across the bottom acting like the swinging meter. Analog is just the meter that goes up and down, and you have to interpret the results.

But also, apparently the more recent digital RS meters are much more accurate in the bass frequencies than the analog. Not 3dB off, but less than 1dB off.

· Registered
2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/0

(snip)

But also, apparently the more recent digital RS meters are much more accurate in the bass frequencies than the analog. Not 3dB off, but less than 1dB off.

Do you remember where you saw that?

· Registered
8,103 Posts
The .cal calibration files for Room EQ Wizard, found on hometheatershack.com

· Registered
2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/0

The .cal calibration files for Room EQ Wizard, found on hometheatershack.com

Boy, they have a ton of stuff over there.

Each time I searched, I found something else.

But, calibrating a SPL meter at low frequencies is very hard to do correctly.

And two tons of info in the "SPL Meter Correction Tables" thread!

· Registered
232 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I couldnt find any other info by searching.

I just purchased the analog version of the radio shack meter. I was actually in the store last night and checked out both. The analog seemed to me like the most simple to use. But one thing I am wondering is, am I missing out on anything by not getting the digital one?

I plan on calibrating my subwoofer and possibly my speakers with the Rives Audio test CD, just wondering if I made a mistake by getting the analog over the digital.

BTW, since Rives seems to have a set of tracks corrected specifically for the Radio shack meter, I don't still need to correct it? Or am I ok?

· Registered
448 Posts
In my research a while ago the analog was the general consensus.

As for info, make sure you apply the right correction factors for frequency. They have a manual table in AVS too. The analog was checked and assessed big time. Can't go wrong with that.

kw........

· Registered
727 Posts
In the big SPL thread I think most prefer the analog. I have the digital model simply because that was what I could get my hands on locally at the time so that's what I got. It's simple to use and does the trick for my ears anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.