AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of the pre/pros I'm considering - AVM-20 and Ref 50 - have 5.1 analog pass-throughs, while one - RDC-7 - has a 7.1. I know that (present) SACD and DVD-A players decode to 5.1, but what about the future? Or is the next developement a standardized digital connection between player and pre/pro obviating the need for a pass-through all together? Somewhat complicating my decision is the appearance of the Audigy 2 with 6.1 outputs.

TIA!

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yo! Twenty-some "looks" and no replies. Doesn't anybody have an answer/opinion on this?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My opinion is that I would rather have 7.1. It is more "future-proof" in that future 7.1 formats could be run through it with an external decoder.

The flip side of this is that the Ref 50 is software upgradable, so perhaps future formats could be supported within it. And if more advanced formats are developed in the future they:

A) Might not be made available in a decoder, instead showing up on full-fledged processors.

B) Could be more than 7.1 channels.

A nice application for a 7.1 input would be if anyone ever released a moderately priced Logic 7 decoder. Which could become available if used DC-2 or MC-1's ever drop to a grand.

Tom B.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
My opinion is that I would rather have 7.1. It is more "future-proof" in that future 7.1 formats could be run through it with an external decoder.

The flip side of this is that the Ref 50 is software upgradable, so perhaps future formats could be supported within it. And if more advanced formats are developed in the future they:

A) Might not be made available in a decoder, instead showing up on full-fledged processors.

B) Could be more than 7.1 channels.

A nice application for a 7.1 input would be if anyone ever released a moderately priced Logic 7 decoder. Which could become available if used DC-2 or MC-1's ever drop to a grand.

Tom B.
Thanks. You're pretty much at the same place I am. And I'd really like to get the upgradeable Ref 50, but I doubt if they - easily - add 2 more analog passthrough circuits to the existing 5.1.

I'd still like to hear more opinions on whether or not 7/1 passthroughs are necessary or whether the next "level" is another digital connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.