AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll still need to play a lot of analog SD on my new WS HDTV and I was wondering which set would handle this material the best. It currently looks like the Hitachi 51S500/700 versus the Mitsubishi WS-55813. Which of these sets has better scaling and stretch support for SD material? Is there any appreciable difference in these two sets for windowbox SD?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I prefer the Mits stretch+...but they are very close.

Hitachi has the advantage of being able to switch between gray and black sidebars for windowbox SD. Mits is gray only. Mits does shift the sidebar horizontal postition every time it is powered on in sidebar mode, but some find this distracting.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I went with the Mits mainly because of it's display of SD content. The "stretch plus" is excellent. Also the 04's have an improved line doubler for bumping the 480i to 480p.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i know this is not strictly SD related but keep in mind the hitachi takes 480P -> 540P while the Mitsubishi keeps it at 480P

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I like the idea of the shifting windowbox. I probably would mix up my SD viewing modes to minimize burn-in and exploit ultimate PQ at times. The Mits also has the larger screen while only gaining a couple inches in the width. I'm very constrained by the available space for this display.

Mits continues to be my likely choice. My trusted A/V salesman/friend has continued to recommend the Mits HD RPTVs to me over the years. I've owned my current 45" Mits SD RPTV set for over 16 years with only one $100 repair. Every thing I read on this forum indicates that its probably a good choice for me. I'm going to try and audition some sets this afternoon. I haven't inspected the Mits HDTVs for a couple years so I look forward to seeing the latest image quality. I've put off purchasing an HDTV for several years waiting for a) the technology to mature, b) prices to come down, and c) mainly for the interconnect issues to settle out a bit more. My old Mits still keeps hanging in there so I haven't been forced to make a decision. Too bad none of my family or friends are interested in taking it off my hands.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by minhi
i know this is not strictly SD related but keep in mind the hitachi takes 480P -> 540P while the Mitsubishi keeps it at 480P
Yes, I see where these sets have different display rates. I need to investigate more how that might affect me. I've also read about some peoples concern over the lacking of a 720p component input on the Mits. I doubt I'll be buying an X-Box so that particular device isn't an issue. I currently connect my PC to the RPTV via composite (Matrox G400 Max) and I assume I'll switch over to RGBHV (after tweaking the T&R). Are there any other issues I should be aware of when connecting a PC to one of these sets?

·
Registered
237 Posts
XORTAM I see you have had your mitsu for a long time, and what no burn-in? If you read some of these posts you should have had burn-in every three months. I was in the same boat as you my older Mits has been performing well, but seeing the playoffs in HD made me move to buy the 55413 and I can't wait for the Superbowl.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No foowigs, no burn-in. I think this may partially be due to the fact that it is a very old set. My theory (welcome to be disputed by those with more knowledge) is that the phosphor is well aged and less susceptible to burn-in. I also think that this problem is mostly noticeable on HD sets versus SD sets. Most of the viewing on this set has been full screen SD except for the occasional letterboxed LD. In recent years there's been a lot more letterbox material on the networks and premium channels but that's been after the set has been used for a number of years. The station logos have also been a relatively new problem and I don't dominate the viewing time on a particular channel. I know that burn-in is a real issue with HD CRT sets (too many witnesses) and I'll take the appropriate measures to minimize any problems.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't able to get together with my A/V salesman/friend for some HDTV auditions today but I just got off the phone with him and it looks like I'll have to re-broaden my search again. He's pushing me away from the idea of a CRT set to look at the new technologies. I still don't know if I'll experience some of the drawbacks of the CRTs that he's concerned about (burn-in, light output, etc.) but he thinks analog SD is just going to be a problem with all HDTVs and I should avoid it (got rid of his LDs ages ago). He's really hard to get hold of with all his customer site visits but I might be able to get a quick audition tomorrow. I'll throw some SD at these sets and see what I'm up against. Unfortunately, they only have the largest Mits sets on display but I'll check out the other techs. I guess the whole gambit is fair-game again.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
I wasn't able to get together with my A/V salesman/friend for some HDTV auditions today but I just got off the phone with him and it looks like I'll have to re-broaden my search again. He's pushing me away from the idea of a CRT set to look at the new technologies. I still don't know if I'll experience some of the drawbacks of the CRTs that he's concerned about (burn-in, light output, etc.) but he thinks analog SD is just going to be a problem with all HDTVs and I should avoid it (got rid of his LDs ages ago). He's really hard to get hold of with all his customer site visits but I might be able to get a quick audition tomorrow. I'll throw some SD at these sets and see what I'm up against. Unfortunately, they only have the largest Mits sets on display but I'll check out the other techs. I guess the whole gambit is fair-game again.
I went thru similar travails shopping for my new HDTV. Went in to the process intending to buy and RP CRT...but size and viewing angles worked against me (I live in a 1bdroom apartment).

If you have the space and viewing angles (big room) to work with, you can't beat the features/value/PQ of an RP CRT. I would have bought the 48" Mitsubishi 48413 except for space/angle issues. I wound up paying 1k more than I originally intended and got a GWIII 50" LCD...but it was the best fit for my circumstances/needs. Good luck in your search!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.