AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I you ultimately want to burn a DVD then there is no reason to capture to DV format. You should probably be looking for a device that captures directly to mpeg2 like the Dazzle DVC 150 . I have not personally used this product but there are several similar products to choose from. The Dazzle product looks interesting because it support USB 2.0 while other don't. Do a search on DVD in the UTV forum and you should find several other threads that may help. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Even though I have an analog capture card, I copy to mini DV and use firewire to dump video into the computer. It saves me from having to digitize the video right then because it's on a high quality format that I can set aside unit I have time to play with it. Mini DV records timecode, so I can glance at the display each commecial break an write down the time code. This way I can type these into Adobe Premiere, hit record and walk away while it does it's thing. The computer controls the DV camera without any interaction from me. I then just have to do a little trimming to get rid of all the commercial matter, throw the segments into the timeline, and hit render. I use Pinnacle Studio 8 to burn my DVDs as it allows the most control over custom menu graphics (many programs stick you with only the templates and don't allow you to add your own graphics).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
I use Pinnacle Studio 8 to burn my DVDs as it allows the most control over custom menu graphics (many programs stick you with only the templates and don't allow you to add your own graphics).
I just started using Studio 8 to transfer some home videos from my Canon miniDV camcorder to DVD. I am a little disapointed at the quality of the burned DVD compared to the original DV tape even though I am using the highest quality settings. Which software are you using to do the DV to mpeg2 conversion, Premiere or Studio 8? Here is a link to a Pinnacle forum thread regarding my DVD video quality issue. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
I use Studio 8 to do the compression, but a standalone compressor would probably do a better job such as Xing or others. I usually only save specials and other standalone shows (not episodes of shows) so I'm only using 48-57 minutes of the DVD. This allows a much better quality image that I still think looks better than VHS. More than an hour-and-a-half or so of video does start to look overly compressed. My favorite MPEG compression is Ulead Videostudio, but I don't have the lastest version to burn DVDs. It does a great job with VCDs, but I found most people I know couldn't view them with their older DVD players (only one of mine can view them). The problem I have with Studio 8 is it always wants to transcode the video no matter what you do elsewhere, so I use AVI's all the way up to the point of burning to keep quality higher and avoid additional MPEG to MPEG compression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.