AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it is useful to anyone, however, I ran across an analog video to SDI converter box from Markertek (a broadcaster supply store) that might be a good alternative to those who want SDI for both their STB DVD player as well as DSS/TIVO. It has a 10-bit Video analog-to-digital converter. Although $1100 is a lot, it seems cheaper than moding both pieces of equipment. Here is the link:
http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...eItem=AD%2DALL

Vitaly.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If the box is no better than the new Conexant chip at performing analog to video conversion, then it will be an expensive brick. I don't have any idea of how well the thing works, but given a choice of spending $1100 on a product that only does one thing, or waiting a few months and spending $200 on a product that does multiple things I would chose to wait for capture boards with the new chip.

The real benefit of SDI is that it's possible with the right equipment to have a full digital link from source to display. For example, DirectTV STB or DVD player with SDI out connected to a bt879 based capture card with SDI input capability. Dscaler could perform a few operations like gamma correction or deinterlacing and this could then be used with a DVI display card to drive a DVI capable display. Complete digital from end to end. Well, at least from DirectTV to your screen, but hopefully DirectTV would spend the $$$ to have a decent video processor convert analog to digital.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'm going down the Analogue - SDI converter route, my only problem is that boxes such as the Hotronic are too limited in what they can do. For $1500 you can get a Kramer FC-4050 that does any to any conversion.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.