AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have read this board quite a bit over the last year for advice but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have a HD A2 bought last year with a Denon avr 887 receiver. This HD DVD set up has been fantastic! Now with the incredible deals on the third gen players I want to get another and move the A2 upstairs. The 887 has HDMI which I have been using for video and sound. It also has 5.1 analog inputs which I have a Denon 1930ci plugged into for CD and SACD's.This Xmas I was given a PS3 for gaming. When I watched Pirates of the Caribbean on it I noticed the sound was a little richer than the HD A2 but the picture not as good. I bought a HD a30 last night with the 20% off coupon, but now I wonder if I should have bought the a35. The question I have is will I get better sound using the 5.1 channel inputs on the 887 vs the HDMI? I do have a 7.1 speaker set up so I thought I needed to use the HDMI? I really like the 887 so I really don't plan on upgrading that for at least a couple of years so I am left with the player's decoding. Does the a35 have a better DAC than the a30?, or is the difference just in the option to send the audio lossless via HDMI 1.3?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaranda /forum/post/12942403

Great thread... I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out which one I need to go with my Yamaha HTR-6090.

Since the Yamaha HTR-6090 doesn't support DD+ or TrueHD I would setup the HD DVD player to do all the decoding by setting the player's HDMI audio PCM (not bitstream) and use the HDMI connection.

If you want full HD audio codec support with DTS-HD MA your only 2 HD DVD players that will bitstream ALL audio codecs are the A35 and XA2 and upgrade your receiver to the Yamaha RX-V3800 (or any another receiver that supports DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA with HDMI).

Myself I was thinking about the Yamaha 3800 and A35 combo but I'm going to wait for the 4th generation HD DVD players to see if full decoding of ALL audio codecs will be introduced with the 5.1 (or 7.1) analog-out players. I prefer the player to decode via analog-out as it reduces a lot of "PLL Jitter" and Lip-Sync issues that I am reading about HDMI receivers and player connections.

...Angelo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts