AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the wealth of information on this site. Your passion and skill has been an incredible motivator for me to start on my own endeavor. For several years, I have been debating between a dedicated vs. a non-dedicated space. After just about pulling the plug on a dedicated space after months and even years of research, my wife and I had a change of heart and realized that for our family with 4 kids, an open non-dedicated space would get much more use and be more suitable to host gatherings, etc.

However, now that this has been decided this room needs tobe finished as quickly as possible (sound familiar?). Since I had done most of my research on this site and others for a dedicated theater, I feel like I am starting over again with little time to spare. This brings to me to where I could use some help from you all! Any input on the following questions would be much appreciated! (sketch attached and details in next posts) Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Room – existing finished basement. Movie area will be 18’-4” wide by about 28’long. Ceilings at 8’ 3”. Although I will have light fairly well controlled, it will not be completely dark seeing as room to right will be a game area. Hoping to put a large sectional couch about 12’ back from screen (plus or minus depending upon final screen size, projector, etc.) and then bar seating top another few feet behind. Usage - 75% movies, 25% sports/tv.

Screen – would have really liked to go with an AT screen, but just don’t think I can get the light low enough. Does light level have to be absolutely darkfor an AT screen? Thinking that a grayscreen might work better to help with potential light. Would prefer 2:35 screen. Thinking of a 130 to 140”.

Projector – looking at several options around $3,000 that could show well with some light. Since I am considering a 2:35 CIH screen I am trying to figure out my best option for lenses,etc. Or do I go with a projector likethe Panny AE8000U with lens memory?

Speakers – really stuck here. Now that I can’t do an AT screen, I need to re-think this. Ideally, speakers wouldbe either in or on walls. Would consider floor standing hidden behind cloth/false, screen etc. I have 4 kids that are very curious and prone to touching and breaking things…. I hope to do a 7.2 setup with the sides and rears likely mounted in the ceiling. Speaker budget between 4 – 6 K. I have heard the Polk in wall LS’s before andthey sounded decent. I don’t think they had a proper amp powering them but I am also concerned about them filling my room. Really like the HSU, or SVS typesub options.

Thanks for any advice/input!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Room – existing finished basement. Movie area will be 18’-4” wide by about 28’long. Ceilings at 8’ 3”. Although I will have light fairly well controlled, it will not be completely dark seeing as room to right will be a game area. Hoping to put a large sectional couch about 12’ back from screen (plus or minus depending upon final screen size, projector, etc.) and then bar seating top another few feet behind. Usage - 75% movies, 25% sports/tv.

Screen – would have really liked to go with an AT screen, but just don’t think I can get the light low enough. Does light level have to be absolutely darkfor an AT screen? Thinking that a grayscreen might work better to help with potential light. Would prefer 2:35 screen. Thinking of a 130 to 140”.

Projector – looking at several options around $3,000 that could show well with some light. Since I am considering a 2:35 CIH screen I am trying to figure out my best option for lenses,etc. Or do I go with a projector likethe Panny AE8000U with lens memory?

Speakers – really stuck here. Now that I can’t do an AT screen, I need to re-think this. Ideally, speakers wouldbe either in or on walls. Would consider floor standing hidden behind cloth/false, screen etc. I have 4 kids that are very curious and prone to touching and breaking things…. I hope to do a 7.2 setup with the sides and rears likely mounted in the ceiling. Speaker budget between 4 – 6 K. I have heard the Polk in wall LS’s before andthey sounded decent. I don’t think they had a proper amp powering them but I am also concerned about them filling my room. Really like the HSU, or SVS typesub options.

Thanks for any advice/input!
The problem with the Panny 8000 is that you can either have 1600 lumens with poor color accuracy or you can have 600 lumens with good color accuracy. Of course, you can land anywhere in the range, the color just gets less accurate with brightness. And you will need lots of lumens for the size screen you want in a room without complete light control.

I think I would opt for the Benq HC1200 and pair it with an anamorphic lens to fill your 2.35:1 screen, then slide it aside for the same height 16:9.

For the screen, I would stick with matte white flexiwhite stretched over a frame and if unhappy with the contrast with lights on, leave the option of painting it over with a neutral grey or even Silver Fire NC. To hide and protect the front speakers, I would build out the wall so the screen was inset by 18" then cover the whole thing with black velvet except for the speakers themselves which I would cover with black AT fabric.

As far as light from the rest of the room goes, plan on spot lighting everywhere rather than flood bulbs and flat dark paint on the walls and ceiling around the screen area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with the Panny 8000 is that you can either have 1600 lumens with poor color accuracy or you can have 600 lumens with good color accuracy. Of course, you can land anywhere in the range, the color just gets less accurate with brightness. And you will need lots of lumens for the size screen you want in a room without complete light control.

I think I would opt for the Benq HC1200 and pair it with an anamorphic lens to fill your 2.35:1 screen, then slide it aside for the same height 16:9.

For the screen, I would stick with matte white flexiwhite stretched over a frame and if unhappy with the contrast with lights on, leave the option of painting it over with a neutral grey or even Silver Fire NC. To hide and protect the front speakers, I would build out the wall so the screen was inset by 18" then cover the whole thing with black velvet except for the speakers themselves which I would cover with black AT fabric.

As far as light from the rest of the room goes, plan on spot lighting everywhere rather than flood bulbs and flat dark paint on the walls and ceiling around the screen area.

Kirk, thank you for your insight. The idea of insetting the screen and then covering the speakers with AT fabric could work well. Now, I would just have to find some good tower speakers that are sealed and not ported. I have listened to many, but unfortunately, did not note sealed vs. ported. I wonder if I could fit the SVS subs into this wall as well, or if they would need more space? Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You have an awesome size space to work with that just begs for a dedicated HT. But understand WAF is important. You can still do an AT screen with the speakers behind (justified by removing the kid finger in the cone probability), with good brightness with the right lighting and PJ. Don't pick a PJ until you're almost complete - they change enough that it should not be a preliminary choice. Also, you can save big $$ and have great results on DIY speakers - consider that route if you have any woodworking skills. DIYSOUNDGROUP speakers are awesome, for a fraction of retail cost.

Last of all - but first of all in planning, make sure you have a good solid HVAC, electric and lighting plan. Many people don't consider them until it's too late.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have an awesome size space to work with that just begs for a dedicated HT. But understand WAF is important. You can still do an AT screen with the speakers behind (justified by removing the kid finger in the cone probability), with good brightness with the right lighting and PJ. Don't pick a PJ until you're almost complete - they change enough that it should not be a preliminary choice. Also, you can save big $$ and have great results on DIY speakers - consider that route if you have any woodworking skills. DIYSOUNDGROUP speakers are awesome, for a fraction of retail cost.

Last of all - but first of all in planning, make sure you have a good solid HVAC, electric and lighting plan. Many people don't consider them until it's too late.

Good luck.

Thanks, Schmidtwi. I would have preferred a dedicated space, but just feel we will get more use out of a non-dedicated for now. Your theater is looking great - good inspiration.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks, Schmidtwi. I would have preferred a dedicated space, but just feel we will get more use out of a non-dedicated for now. Your theater is looking great - good inspiration.
Thanks for checking out my build! I hope I don't inspire you to take as long as I am to build your HT... :D

There's one other piece of equipment that can help you when you want to listen loud, but keep sound from escaping your open concept HT - these.

Have fun and ask questions, you'll get a ton of info here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for checking out my build! I hope I don't inspire you to take as long as I am to build your HT... :D

There's one other piece of equipment that can help you when you want to listen loud, but keep sound from escaping your open concept HT - these.

Have fun and ask questions, you'll get a ton of info here.
Now there's the completely isolated sound I need! Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts