AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of 2 crappy non-anamorphic 2.35:1 discs, I would like to buy a anamorphic 2.35:1. Any editions I have missed?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hob,

I don't believe there is an anamorphic widescreen release of Stargate currently available. However, there is a new release planned to street in September that will be anamorphically enhanced.

--Jerome

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hob, Stargate is greatness. I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I will add it to my queue!

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Actually, the Region 2 (Japan) and Region 3 (Korea) editions of Stargate are enhanced widescreen. I have seen both and both are rather different from the US versions as far as color balance and overall brightness of the image. Also, both are the theatrical cut of the film. Both trounce the US versions for quality. My personal preference is for the Korean disc.

I am, however, looking forward to Artisan's upcoming special edition. This should be the extended version of the film with a new enhanced transfer. If the new transfers Artisan has done for the Rambo films and for the Dune miniseries are any indicator, then Stargate should be a real treat for fans of this highly underrated sci-fi epic.

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
Hopefully it will be a great transfer of the director's edition (which still leaves out a good 50 minutes of perfectly usable footage cut originally to keep the run time down) without EE. The 9 extra minutes still makes this film out to be a poorly edited mess.

If Artisan can put kick butt DTS tracks on the Rambo Trilogy and the Twin Peaks TV show, then you'd think they'd put one on Stargate: Ultimate Edition.

The video transfers for the remastered Rambo Trilogy where surprisingly good (considering the studio they're coming from) from reviews I've read.

Dan

·
Registered
260 Posts
Actually this is one of the few films released in an anamorphic

format on LASERDISC.

I think there are 4 such titles. One of the others being one

of the Star Treks.

I don't have the disc - but I have seen photos of it - and the

OBI strip clearly shows a 16:9 television and a 4:3 television

and a little pictorial about how this disc is optimized for a

16:9 display. I don't read japanese but the concept

is pretty clear. Even shows how the disc will look tall

and thin if displayed on a 4:3 tv...

The disc labeling calls it a SQUEEZE edition. Guess that's

because they squeezed the left and right sides into the 4:3 frame

in expectation that the tv can reverse the process.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I found the longer version to be a much better film, though still only B grade fluff.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to differ with you on this movie only, I have watched this movie over 150+ times.

O/T I have different sound sytem than you have, I can put the #42-2108 Stereo Reverb into the sound of this movie giving you 2000 ms (2 full Seconds) and 100 times the depth of any known dolby decoder receiver. Using the Sennheiser 5 sounds in to low impedence headphones, you watch the DVD on F-38310, but the altered sound will be pouring into your brain via closed cup cans.

I discovered this process in 1998, by marrying 2 devices one from the past of the 1980's and one from 1994. I kept playing around with the unit until I finalized the correct points of the knobs.

Craig my friend said after chapter 16 first 45 seconds, you looked as white as a person drained of blood. Look behind you you pushed on that chair so hard you broke the paster, no your just kidding. Look at it, I turned and seen the plaster where the chair was had broken. My first words were "Outta sight"

This is why I have seen the movie so many times, you remember that soldier saying what a rush. The reason I get a rush every time I see that movie with the 2

devices on and the 2.35:1 widescreen in front of my soft easy chair with no more holes in the wall!

Want a demonstration I live in Pennsylvania near Allentown. I have asked a number of AVS members to come and verify or be my proof, that there is such a system and what their reation to it was. Caveat emptor once you experience this sound system, any other system will be inferior to what you were introduced to.

A experience like this is like this happened when you first seen a 16 X 9 movie, of course then you didn't want to watch a 4:3 TV. Matt neither did I that's why we both have 16 X 9 W/S HDTV. I am the only man on earth that ever utilized these 2 units, you think I am stuck up for saying that?

Loking for #42-2108 ratshack won't do you any good I have been looking for those units since 1985. I bought my first in in 1984, and my 2 & 3 (with schematics) in 1997. Two guys wanted to unload their units they could never connect it, I didn't now for a full year ratshack was having problems connecting them.

There are no more units or schematics, country of Korea factory that made them for ratshack took them all apart. The original schematics were destroyed about 15 years ago there were no patents on the device either. Now Matt when should I expect you to be in central PA.?

Would you like to stay blissfully ignorant of such a breakthrough in sound technology? The units that were bought came like new, for not even the power cords were ever touched! :)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'm talking about the film, not the sound. The SE is a better film.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt I like the theatrical version, not the directors cut with the extra 9 minutes I seen it once I did't like Russells character saying Dr. Daniel Jackson was full of ****, when he went by General West in theatrical version he says "your call".

Also I didn't like the colonel and his men shooting at the ancient eyptians. If I buy the DVD disc it will be for the anamorphic widescreen, not the 9 minutes which I can fast forward for elimination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.