AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a difference would this make? Also, would I need the one Horizontal stretch version or the Vertical squeeze?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would think you need the vertical one.

It's a neat idea but I think the practicality of it would disappear if the lens cost more than about $500. Save your money and get a 1280x720 PJ in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
who can wait a year or two, thats a life time :) hehe or wait 3 or 4 and get a 1920 x 1080, one may be dead by then hehe :)

I just got an X1 and am more than happy for the $'s, if i choose in 2 years to upgrade then i have lost little, at least i have the experience now.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Isomorph (horizontal stretch) vs Panamorph (Vertical squeeze) depends upon what you want - has nothing to do with the projector as long as it (or the source) can fill to full panel. Either you would like constant height or constant width screening setup.

"neat idea" - think 16:9 PJ with a 1.33 Panny for 2.35 AR films - full panel (1368x768) instead of most others (4:3 projector w/no lens getting something like 1024x432, 16:9 projector or 4:3 projector w/lens getting 1368x576 or 1024x576).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I bought a used panamorph for a little more than $300 to use with my X1, and I could not be happier. Whenever I watch DVDs my resolution and luminosity are visibly improved. Furthermore, when it is time to upgrade, i see no reason why I should not be able to continue using the lens.

Cheers,

Raul

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What percentage of improvement would you say you have gained by using the adapter? For $300-$600 I want it to be an obvious and very noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
What percentage of improvement would you say you have gained by using the adapter? For $300-$600 I want it to be an obvious and very noticeable improvement.

Mike, its nice to see that your watching your spending since fileing for bankruptcy. ;) j/k

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Raul GS
I bought a used panamorph for a little more than $300 to use with my X1, and I could not be happier. Whenever I watch DVDs my resolution and luminosity are visibly improved.
I have to question how much vertical resolution improvement one could possibly have with the X1s and DVDs. The X1 already displays DVDs 1:1 basically right? By forcing it to 600 vertical wouldn't you be introducing MORE scaling errors?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I run 1024 x 580 from the PC to X1 to fit correct aspect desktop on 16:9 screen and video scaling on the X1 is very good.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
As I stated, I have more light available, which can be of value when viewing with light in the vicinity (small kids makes that a plus). Detail is improved because most/all pixels are being used, thus approximating the resolution of a Sony or Panasonic LCD without the negatives (yes, rainbows are still there, but that is not what we are talking about).

To watch DVDs I set the player to 16:9 format and projector to 4:3 format. From my perspective (and understanding) there are no scaling errors being introduce.

Regards,

Raul

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Anyone got a link for this? Might be a future purchase consideration for me.

-MP

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Did some more reading, and want to make sure I understand... a panamorph lens will essentially fill a 16x9 screen with a 2.35x1 image without distortion? Since I'm going to watch both HDTV, NTSC cable, and DVDs on the X1, is this something I would use only when watching anamorphic DVDs? The model I am looking at is the Panamorph P752. I'm just trying to get a handle on the process :)

-MP

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're using the Panamorph (vertical squeeze), it would allow you to position the projector further back to get the same vertical height, yes?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ramick
The Isomorph (horizontal stretch) vs Panamorph (Vertical squeeze) depends upon what you want - has nothing to do with the projector as long as it (or the source) can fill to full panel.
The horizontal stretch lenses distort the image more (pin-cushion shape to image) at the same throw for the projector. Since throw ratios vary by projector, the projector does have a fair amount to do with which lens will work best. The prismasonic site has a chart that shows how well each lens works when starting with a certain throw and does not recommend the horizontal stretching model for short throw projectors.

Plus the horizontal stretching model changes the throw, so that is also a big factor in which lens works better in a particular setup.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks, darinp2.

I probably shouldn't have made the assumption - I have a Panny, but not the Iso.

I have seen the Iso, though and the pic quality looked much the same w/the same projector (10HT) - hence, my post.

[added quality]

·
Registered
105 Posts
I understand the increase in resolution usage with a panamorph on the x1. But isn't it a royal PITA to have to take the lens on and off with a ceiling mounted PJ when you are switching between 4:3 and 16:9 content.

I have an X1 and I am very happy with both 4:3 content and 16:9 content without the Panamorph.

Dave

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I got to see my X1 with 16:9 and 2.35:1 lenses on Saturday, thanks to Darin. I was pretty impressed, despite the barrel distortion. If you mask the sides you probably wouldn't notice the distortion at all. It looked very impressive with HD, much brighter and sharper.

There are two things that keep me from running out to get one. First is the cost, obviously. Second is the work involved. The lens is pretty big and probably wouldn't fit on the shelf I'm using, and I would have to get a 16:9 screen or set up some masking. If I found one of these lenses cheap, it would be tempting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.