Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by David F
I don't see where it says enhanced for 16x9 televisions. Maybe they corrected it.
You HAVE this DVD? The statement I'm referring to is on the BACK of the DVD case.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
No, I followed the link you provided and looked at the specs. That's what I thought you were referring to. The technical specifications at amazon just say full screen 1.33.

·
Registered
28,446 Posts
It's a printing error.

I believe this disc is 1.66:1 with anamorphic enhancement (small pillarbox bars on the sides).

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
It's a printing error.

I believe this disc is 1.66:1 with anamorphic enhancement (small pillarbox bars on the sides).
One review I found says it's a printing error as it's 1.33:1 and NOT enhanced.

·
Registered
28,446 Posts
I just double-checked my source, the review in Video Watchdog magazine #60, but it's still inconclusive. Turns out they were reviewing the VHS release, which was full frame, but make a notation at the bottom that the film is also available on DVD with 16:9 enhancement. They do not mention an aspect ratio and never did a separate review for the DVD.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is indeed curious.........

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/11015bh.jpg

1.33 Anamorphic is an impossibility, correct? Aren't ALL possible lines of resolution ALREADY contained within a 1.33 image? How can you anamorphisize a FF picture? If you can, it's news to me....and will have many people wondering why it's not done on every film with an OAR of 1.37/1.33:1.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David VP
This is indeed curious.........

1.33 Anamorphic is an impossibility, correct? Aren't ALL possible lines of resolution ALREADY contained within a 1.33 image?...
1.33 anamorphic is possible and is used on the extras of the Halloween Limited Edition. This is for convenience only and allows you to view the extras (in 1.33) after watching the feature without having to switch your set. Anamorphic 1.33 uses the same 480 lines but only uses about 540 of 720 horizontal pixels.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I highly suspect it is a printing error because every NTSC DVD uses the D1 standard which is:

720X480 (4:3) - rectangular pixel

Although it is encoded at 1.3333 I'll bet the original is widescreen meaning the DVD is 'anamorphic'.

How often is the 'full frame' term used on other DVDs? Because technically it is correct in this case as each encoded frame is 1.33333 but it has been enhanced for 16:9 tv's through the anamorphic process.......

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you have your DVD player set for widescreen and this movie shows with black bars on the left and right and a correct AR picture in the center, then it is indeed 1.33 ehanced for 16x9 televisions. They basically just encode the black bars along the sides so, as William said, you don't have to make adjustments if you're watching it on a widescreen set. A 4x3 television (with the DVD player set to 4x3) would simply downconvert the image.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
That is a possibility, and yes on a widescreen set you would get a sidebared 4:3 picture. But if it were that way then on a 4:3 set with your player set to 4:3 you will get windowboxing. With the player on 16:9 you would get sidebars with the wrong AR in the middle because it would be horizontally squished.

I still believe that 'full frame' (in this case) means 'not letterboxed' or in other words 'anamorphic' rather than 'full screen' (which is technically a more correct term)

And since each frame is encoded in 1.333 no matter what, this is why they printed 1.333 even though the original movie is 1.78 or something.

Either way though, it is confusing?

·
Registered
28,446 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.