AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow! That is some amazing work you have done there!

How much did all the parts cost to build?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Trogdor2010,

Your anamorphic lens really does look good!!! You posted a link on the other site that appears to no longer work (sorry I can't yet post it but it was to three ws dot zuggsoft dot com slash theater slash prism): would you have a new URL to provide for it?

Thank you very much,

williswine

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87astro /forum/post/19618907

Wow! That is some amazing work you have done there!

How much did all the parts cost to build?

Hello and thank you Astro.

Essentially I bought two trophy prisms from a website that is in the provided link for about $65 each (price varies by size), and used some copper plating my dad was nice enough to spare. You can use thin wood or plastic, but I made basically everything out of copper plating, the box and the mount for it (the projector mount as you see is a road sign). It depends what you want to make it with, but generally it would run me altogether about $150- $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswine /forum/post/19621618

Hi Trogdor2010,

Your anamorphic lens really does look good!!! You posted a link on the other site that appears to no longer work (sorry I can't yet post it but it was to three ws dot zuggsoft dot com slash theater slash prism): would you have a new URL to provide for it?

Thank you very much,

williswine

Hello Williswine.

Certainly. Please let me know if the link does not work. The link also provides the link to the website where I found the trophy prisms.

http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Wow! How cool! Love your DIY anamorphic lens. Everything looks great! (except for the Obama/Biden poster. YEESH!)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Hello Williswine.

Certainly. Please let me know if the link does not work. The link also provides the link to the website where I found the trophy prisms.

http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

Thank you! The link works fine. I actually saw this information a few months ago but your built is the first one I see and man does it look good!

It would be very interesting if someone, somewhere, could compare the Picture Quality (PQ) from a DIY lens and that of a top of the line commercial lens. It would also be great if, on the DIY side, PQ of both a lens using two prisms and one using four prisms could be compared. Maybe the latter comparison has already been made though I haven't found one just yet.

williswine

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19624375

Everything looks great! (except for the Obama/Biden poster. YEESH!)

Hey did you find my bong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williswine /forum/post/19626243

It would be very interesting if someone, somewhere, could compare the Picture Quality (PQ) from a DIY lens and that of a top of the line commercial lens. It would also be great if, on the DIY side, PQ of both a lens using two prisms and one using four prisms could be compared. Maybe the latter comparison has already been made though I haven't found one just yet.

williswine

I have not used any alternatives nor commercial designs (money), but I have heard they perform similarly. In fact, it looked it's best after I finished the box.

That would be nice to see a post from someone about this topic, probably exists, but a link would be nice.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 /forum/post/19629953

I have not used any alternatives nor commercial designs (money), but I have heard they perform similarly. In fact, it looked it's best after I finished the box.

That would be nice to see a post from someone about this topic, probably exists, but a link would be nice.

There are lots of comparos in the other parts of AVS forum that addresses the trade offs. But for the money your's is far and away the best bang for the buck!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=174

1 - 8 of 8 Posts