Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Ebay post got me thinking...

ISCORAMA ANAMORPHIC LENS SYSTEM FOR 35MM Item # 1944088141...

This one is for a 35mm camera. I dont like the idea of phosphor going unused in a CRT projector. It seems like the best possible use of a 4-3 CRt would be to fill it with a horizontally compressed image, then re-expand it with an anamorphic lens. Is anything like that manufactured? Seems like it would be a major increase in brightness and resolution.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Okay, how much for one, now multiply that by 3....

It is an interesting idea, but the ones I've seen are designed for small lenses like LCD. What would the price be to fit a normal crt lense?

Besides the anamorphic lenses I've seen are big and heavy, another hindrance for crt.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think the one LCD projector anamorphic lens I read about and looked at actually took the 4:3 image and compressed it vertically as opposed to expanding the picture horizontally to recreate the letterbox image.

Trying to do this for three lens CRTs would almost definitely be a difficult task given the angles of the three tubes and somehow aligning them and converging them. Would be advantagous to be able to use the entire tube face though.

Mark

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think about it...all our PJ's are basically the same once the image is projected onto the phosphor. The main differance would be the size of the gun. It will probably never happen now that digital is gaining so much popularity, but imagine if CRT's were still the only game in town. I could see a company making a line of 7, 8, 9 inch anamorphic lenses that were universal. They would have adapter plates to bolt to whatever hole pattern the original lens assy had. With that type of arrangement and the proliferation of 16-9 material, enough volume would be demanded that pricing might just be reasonable. I dont think that adjustment would be any more difficult than the standard convergence we deal with now. Any weirdness in the lens should be able to be compensated for with zone control. Since I'm thinking of weirdness, the same thing could be accomplished in a rear projection situation with an "anamorphic mirror"...

"I'm an idea man...Feed the tunafish mayonaisse..."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.