Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a new member to this forum.

Maybe, this is a stupid question, but please forgive.

If I play anamorphic discs by a progressive scan player without scaller control on 4:3 TV which doesn't have vertical compression for 480p/i signal, is what I can get only vertical expanded 4:3 picture unless I compress the screen manually?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hawk_yama
Hello! I'm a new member to this forum.

Maybe, this is a stupid question, but please forgive.

If I play anamorphic discs by a progressive scan player without scaller control on 4:3 TV which doesn't have vertical compression for 480p/i signal, is what I can get only vertical expanded 4:3 picture unless I compress the screen manually?

Thanks in advance!
Hawk,

I believe what you are trying to determine is if an anamorphic disc will display properly on a 4:3 set without changing anything on your TV? The answer is yes, if this is the case. As long as you tell your DVD player that you are using a 4:3 TV in its setup menu, the player will downconvert all anamorphic material to 4:3 letterbox format, which will display normally on the TV.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DBNyak,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I was thinking of using Skyworth or Philips Q50 which didn't have any aspect control on menu with TVs like Toshiba xxH70 whose vertical compression was availablel for 1080i signal only.

Even in this case, can those players output 480p/i 16:9 picture with letterbox If I don't care about vertcial scanline loss?

-Hawk_Yama

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hawk_yama
DBNyak,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I was thinking of using Skyworth or Philips Q50 which didn't have any aspect control on menu with TVs like Toshiba xxH70 whose vertical compression was availablel for 1080i signal only.

Even in this case, can those players output 480p/i 16:9 picture with letterbox If I don't care about vertcial scanline loss?

-Hawk_Yama
Hawk,

Yes, any player can still output a 480p/i 16:9 picture in letterbox using the Toshiba. Just set the player up to output "4:3 Pan & Scan" and "4:3 letterbox" in the player's setup menu. All players have this option.

BTW, you wouldn't be able to utilize the scaling features of DVD players like the Panasonic RP91 unless you were using a 16:9 TV set anyway.

Hope this helps...DB:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.