AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm following the Radeon faq to set up my new LE card from Newegg. I unlocked 960x540 72Hz as suggested for anamorphic DVDs. I have my 1270Q setup for a 4x3 screen and I use the RGB size control on the PJ to squeeze height for these wide-screen enhanced movies. When I was running 800x600 72Hz I had just enough adjustment range to squeeze these images into the proper aspect ratio (i.e. so that round logos appear truly round not oval). Now with 960x540 there is not enough range. Everything is too tall and skinny. I tried using the display control panel "adjustment" tab to reduce image height, but, I have to click the (-) 50 times and it seems to soften the focus. Should I be using YXY? What am I missing here???

Mark Haskins

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

...or does this belong over in the HTPC forum?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1270.The only solution was to

wide the picture instead of decrease height.Luckily I had

enough screen-width to do this.So my 4:3 setting is a little bit

thinner than my 16:9 setting.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Jesper,

Not quite sure if I follow...

My screen width is fixed, I don't use any masking. Are you suggesting that I setup my PJ from scratch with shorter than normal image on my 4x3 screen? Say something like a 4x2.5 image? This seems like an extreme method of getting the correct aspect ratio for anamorphic DVDs. Anyone else???

Mark Haskins

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't quite understand why you need to use the projectors RGB size to squeeze the image.

Since you are using a HTPC you could also run at a fixed 4:3 resolution like 960x722 and then use the software in the HTPC to do the masking using YxY and thereby gain the correct resolution 960x540 for your anamorphic DVD's.

I do that on my Sony 1272QM and it works very nicely.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Henrik,

I found this thread in the CRT archives which is interesting on the converging for 4x3 vs. converging for 16x9 issue.

Size vs. RGB size

I haven't checked out YXY yet. Maybe I'll try that before a full convergence. It might give the extra "squeeze" I need without softening the image.

Can any of the CRT gods which frequent this place enlighten those of us groping in the dark?

Mark H

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a thread about why do the RGB size squeeze. ( with pictures)

why squeeze

and another about the goodness of YXY

every last drop

I surely will try YxY now...

You gods can snooze. Its all been said before.:p

Mark H

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.