AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ok, don't get to excited but we have been given the green light from Alan to talk about Anamorphic lenses again! Thanks Alan!!! I never had a doubt for one second that this wasn't the best forum on earth!

This of course is much needed because in 2 to 3 years we may not even need anamorphic lenses. ha ha.

Yes, we can even talk about the potential new lens by Prismasonic a company in Helsinki Finland. If you want specific answers about their products and company you will have to ask them on their website's fourm. Why? cause they are the only ones that have one. Maybe someone here can get one to review but of coarse they aren't for sale yet.

I have asked a few questions on their forum and my initial impressions are "It ain't no ISCO II" It does have some drawbacks like... the lenses are plastic, no coatings, may need curved screen, light loss isn't their primary concern. The benefits seam to be it's cheap, adjustable, light weight and I think it may even work!

Anyway they say they are working on a new model that does vertical compression. Visit their site for more answers. Of course at this point nobody can say anything about the quality of the lens or prismasonic as a business (looks like they are just starting). Just remember 99% of the time "you get what you pay for."

Anyway, I hope for all of us involved in Home Theater, lots of anamorphic products will come onto the scene. They may even make our home theater experiences "just like the movies".

If you know of any other anamorphic miracle cures please post!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Perfect timing. I was just getting ready to do a search to see if I missed any updates on this lense. I really need someting reasonably priced for my Davis 450.

Tim

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Tryg,

From their website their "products" seem to be in the experimental stage, with unknown production/ship dates.

Still, it is another interesting product to watch out for, if only for having a lower cost 16:9 lens solution available.

-Dean.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was under the impression that an anamorphic lens designed to convert 4:3 to 16:9, was also convert 16:9 to 21:9 (assume other factors to be equal, ie image offset, throw distance)? Could someone confirm or deny, please?

Thanks

Todd

·
Registered
129 Posts
yes this is true.

maybe some more designs will come out. the adjustability of this design is what is interesting.

potentially you could do horizontal expansion or vertical compression for any native panel aspect ratio. could this be called an optical scaler?

bring on the light benders!

H

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The site in question is www.prismasonic.com for those who missed it.

On their forum they also mention that their lense is designed for long throw lenses, and that two more models are in the design stages for shorter throw. I have no idea what they mean by that however.

As for plastic lenses - that can mean so many things as there are extremely many types of plastic out there, some suitable for optical applications. I would still like to know what degree of light loss is expected, and how this affects overall picture quality. The degree of optical artifacts like non-linear compression and pincusion would also be interesting. But most of all I would like the answer to the $500 question - will it work with my LT150?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have been using an ISCO II for a couple of weeks now and I really like it - the screen has to be masked to expunge the small amount of distortion. My feeling is that this new "consumer" friendly anamorphic lens will be very good indeed, especially if specifically designed for short throw off axis projectors like the LT150. Both the Panamorph and ISCO II are high quality devices, however, we all know that there is a law of diminishing returns that kicks in every time. I bet there are some who have spent a ton of money of expensive processors and then seen a good HTPC in action and felt betrayed by the processor's manufacturer for all the hype that sold the unit. Same for the LT150 - I know that's how I felt after seeing the LT150 and comparing it to my HT projector - betrayed! My tough luck! Buyer beware.

If this thing has been well designed I'll wager that even with cheaper materials it will give both the ISCO II and Pansamorph a run for their money (or should I say my money). ;)

I am still waiting for my Panamorph - a shootout is inevitable. I will probably order this new one for an all out shootout - winner take all.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
129 Posts
Grant,

three different anamorphic lenses? you are crazy bro! Why not the ultra panatar too?

Maybe I should buy one of these prismagadgets just so I can pound my chest. I'm feeling a little left out in the anamorphic craze. pretty soon they'll be selling anamorphic lenses in every 7-11, next to the slurpies.

what other uses might on of these things have?

grant, of course I'll buy it off you when you decide it's just not as good as the isco.

Frode,

these guys live right down the road from you. why don't you go pay them a visit and give us the full poop.

H

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Maybe I am nuts or the sample pictures are doctored, but I sure don't see any change in aspect ratio. It looks like simple magnification.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I asked if it would work with the lt150 and the answer no, so we can lay that question to rest, maybe a new model down the road will work with the lt150

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.