AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any advantage in having the LT150 unsqueeze anamorphic dvd's using it's Cinema mode, as opposed to letting the DVD player do it? My setup includes a Theta DaViD, an IScan Pro, and the LT150. I understand from a previous post that if I break off pins 13 and 14 on my video cable I can regain use of the Cinema mode and let the LT150 do the unsqueezing. Is it likely the projector can do a better unsqueezing job than my DVD transport? Or could the IScan Pro perform better with the extra lines in the full frame picture? Or am I misunderstanding the whole issue?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The advantage is of course anamorphic resolution instead of any downscaling done in the player or the iscan. You probably do have to break those pins. Make sure you set the iscan to output component progressive instead of RGB before you start messing with the cable though.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frode,

What do you mean by "anamophic resolution". Isn't the projector doing the same thing as the player would when it downscales from 4:3 to widescreen format?

Also, I can't get an image with the iscan and projector set to component. This is where breaking the pins seems necessary as per the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/007931.html

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The LT150 has a resolution of 1024x768. Anamorphic DVDs have a resolution of 720x480 (for NTSC, won't go into PAL in this post). Now the DVD player is limited to NTSC resolution, but if you let the player or iscan downconvert it has to take 720x480 and convert it to 16:9 before output. To do this it drops lines so you get an effective resolution of 720x360 output from the player. That's a loss of 120 lines - or 25%. Depending on how good the player is at doing this you may even get downconversion artifacts in addition to the resolution loss. The Apex 600 for instance is notorious for being bad at this.

If however you do the scaling in the projector however you can use the full 720x480 and let the projector upscale that directly to 1024x576 (16:9 resolution in a 4:3 panel) with no dropped lines or loss of resolution. Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Break the pins. That should fix it.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Frode!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.