AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure it's helpful or even interesting but I thought I'd share my experience with Purchasing a Plasma TV on line.

Some History.

Three years ago I talked my wife into buying an RPTV as the monitor for our "Home Theater". After 1.5 years my wife suggested we finish the basement and add a dedicated Theater (twist my arm;) ). If interested in seeing it, check out the link below.

My wife then insisted that we get rid of the behemoth RPTV in our family room. I resisted because I loved my Sony 57" XBR. One month ago, she brought the subject up again but this time convinced me to get the Akai Plasma from Costco (once again twist my arm). In the beginning, I generally liked the picture on the Akai, but started to be bothered by the posterization and lack of contrast in the blacks. I hinted to her that I may take it back in favor of a Panny. She said "whatever" as long as it wasn't more expensive. This weekend while away on a trip, we went to a Bestbuy and she definitely preferred the Panny (consumer ED model) over the Samsung 4235 (clone of Akai or visa versa).

Last nite I did research here and decided to pull the trigger on the Panny 42PWD6UY. The only question was where to get it. I started at Dell and talked to a generally nice guy who did not have the authority to price match. He said it wouldn't be a problem and kept me on hold while he located the MOD. After a long wait, I suggested he call me back when he got approval, rather than tie up the phone. The Rep said he would call within a few moments. 6 hours later I still haven't heard from. In the interim, I called several recommended sources from this forum. The first source, Visual Apex, was very accessible and easy to deal with. They gave honest answers even though it may have not been what I wanted to hear. The second source put me through to "voice mail". That was the kicker for me. Hours later and still no return call. Yea, so I might be a little impatient BUT, the fact that no one was available to answer the phone caused me to pause.

So I rewarded Visual Apex (a Forum Sponsor :D ) with my business. So at 4:15 today I ordered the plasma and a table top stand. VA also told me that I would be receiving a FedEx shipment with BNC to RCA adapters. VA said that they didn't want their customers to go thru the hassle of finding them, or worse yet not having everything they need to plug in and play. Nice touch.

I'll let you know when I get the tracking and how the actual delivery, set-up and product review goes. I plan to hold onto the Akai, until after I set up the Panny so I can give some input on the relative PQs of the two Plasmas. I'll also let you know when and if I'm ever called back.

Bomber

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day TWO....I received the AWB pretty much at the exact time VA said I would. The Plasma is on a flight from Wash. State to Wash. DC!

Unfortunately, the impending Hurricane may delay delivery but so far so good!

For the record, Dell still has not called me back. Even if they had no intention of price matching, a return call would have been the curteous thing to do.

Bomber

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for the post Bomber...definately an interesting read and something that will help me.

I myself am considering the Panny over the Akai after seeing the a 42" EDTV Panny at Circuit City. I was very impressed with the PQ.

Real quick...do the BNC to RCA adapter affect image quality at all?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Panny I ordered is a commercial model and as such it uses BNC connectors. RCA jacks rely on an interference fit to stay in place. In other words you kinda press them in place and rely on friction to keep them there. With BNC jacks, they twist in place and are held by two posts on the male side (Display in this case) and two slots on the female side. RCA jacks are more prevalent on consumer sets so Visual Apex supplies adapters so you won't have to try and find them or worse yet have to purchase a different set cables.

Hope that helps.

Bomber

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the record, Dell still has not called me back. Even if they had no intention of price matching, a return call would have been the curteous thing to do.

I order a 6uy from Dell Monday and they price matched the best price online. They said it would ship on or before 9/25/03. Impatiently waiting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also ordered from Dell on Monday, with the same ship date and estimated delivery date of Sept 29 to Oct 2.

You can check the order online at Dell. All you need is an order # and a customer #.

Dimitry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another "Me too!" I ordered a TH-42PWD6UY from Dell on Monday, with an estimated ship date of 25-Sep. The first time I called, I just asked for the Panny model # and the lady said they were out of stock. So I hung up, and called back with the Dell part # handy (#A0160748). The next guy at Dell ordered it right up for me, and he also price matched another Internet site... Monday was the last day of a '10% off all monitors' sale, so I don't know if that affected his bargaining power. I got good professional service and was happy with the deal. Waiting on shipment... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those of you that bought from Dell, do you mind PM'ing me with your final price? I don't get it, why would you price match prices from reputable online vendors here with Dell? Is Dell offering something that I am unaware of?

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats, Bomber! I feel I should have gone with VA - wonder if their stuff is sourced thru Electrograph or not.

I placed my order with Dell on Sept. 5th, receipt of the in-stock item to be on or before the 11th. Yet no tracking number has been produced, despite rigorous expediting. At least the credit card hasn't been charged as yet!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xswl0931
I think the point is that you may have Dell pricematch with a "less reputable" online dealer. However, YMMV.

I price matched with the same Dealer I ended up buying from. The reason I was willing to go with Dell first was they have a better return policy.

Bomber

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read in another thread, that most of the plasmas from Dell are coming from Electrograph, who seams to be their Dells distributor for Plasmmas and Accys.

Dimitry

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over the past day and a half I have been anxiously tracking my Panny’s arrival. Unfortunately the status hasn’t changed. Visual Apex provided the tracking number and the DHL/Danza’s website (not a link). Visual Apex also provided a toll free number to call. At 7:00AM this morning I gave the toll free number a call and was pleasantly greeted buy a Danza employee. She was a breath of fresh air. She gave me the up to date status of my Plasma. In fact she new exactly what I had purchased and was involved with getting my unit shipped to me (more later).

My plasma is due to land at Dulles (IAD) today and I should be receiving a call to make arrangements for local delivery today or tomorrow AM. The Danza Rep. told me to call her back tomorrow if I hadn’t heard anything by tomorrow AM. The reason the Danza Rep had such intimate knowledge of my order was due to the fact the Visual Apex warehouses the Plasma’s at Danza. When you order from Visual Apex, they EDI your order over to Danza, who immediately ships it out. How cool :cool:

Day two and everything is on track...I think. I have not received the AWB for the BNC/RCA adapters and I wondering if the Plasma/Stand will arrive first?

Bomber

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Bomber,

Probably will be doing the same thing in the first week of October.....so keep us informed on how it all turns out.

I will be going for the Panny HD version 42PHD6UY....with the DVI/HDCP terminal board.

I know this may be out of your budget....but I would give a look at the Richard Gray Power Supply....not only provides great surge protection....but also supplies clean power....that will result in a better picture.

But it is pricey and may be out of budget....down the line may be a consideration to get the full performance and best protection for your plasma investment.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Bomber,

I wouldn't hesitate to start calling into Danza about your order. My order, online showed no status change but it was actually in San Fran ALREADY!!. When I got a hold of Danza, two days after ordering they said, okay we'll bring it by Thursday, two MORE days of waiting. When I said, can I get it earlier, they said SURE, how bout this afternoon.

I don't think they are updating info on the web site in real time, so this isn't fedex

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well some minor confusion abounds. The VA people have been excellent and the Danza folks in Seatle are wonderful. DHLs tracking system is horrible. It's not up to date and they use acronyms that only the website software programmer understands. My unit was not on a plane even though the website clearly refers to a flight number and the product is due to arrive at Dulles International Airport. It went cross country by truck and is due to arrive in Washington Friday Morning. It's guaranteed to be here Monday by 5:00PM.

The BNC to RCA adapters showed up today out of the blue. That's not a complaint. Other than the confusion about the type of transportation and the RUDE DHL CS Rep, everything is great.

Bomber

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just called Dell about the 42PWD6UY. He wouldn't go lower than the number that came up when I found it under State/Local Government, claiming it is already a discounted number.

Bomber and anyone else who bought one, I'd appreciate if you could PM me with the price and where you bought it. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also purchased from VA recently. My suggestion would be to call the freight people daily. Especially if the final leg is DHL itself or a freight forwarder. I live in a rural area and that last 40 miles took some calls from my end. The wrong stand was shipped (Danzas goofed) which VA corrected via next day air. DHL itself delivered the stand. They didn't call ahead as I requested and they won't leave a package without a signature. It was shear luck that I happened to follow up and find this out before the driver arrived. I raced home from work and left a signed note to leave the stand.

Having the display without the stand for five days was painful. Call them. They were all nice people for the most part and VA was great. I just had to stay on top of DHL and the local freight company. Don't assume they will follow your request to call ahead. Don't assume they will call you if their delivery schedule changes. Ask questions and write down names. They get real attentive when you call and start asking for people by name.

All in all I have no complaints about buying online from VA. The display is awesome by the way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My jaw is on the floor. Yesterday afternoon I placed an order for the 6UY plus a Bello stand with VA. They're in WA. This afternoon I got a call from Danzas in Miami (I live 30 minutes away in Fort Lauderdale) saying that they have the packages! They don't deliver on the weekend, so they're coming here bright and early Monday morning. Hope I can wait that long!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's unbelievable. I ordered mine last Monday and haven't received it yet. DHL/Danza's website still has it in transit. I can't help feeling that VA misled me about how they were shipping my unit. They told me 3 - 5 days.

Bomber

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.