Studio and Year: Paramount - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13/Unrated/R
Feature running time: 118/122/143 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, David Koechner, Christina Applegate, James Marsden, Dylan Baker, Meagan Good, Greg Kinnear, Kristin Wiig
Directed by: Adam McKay
Music by: Andrew Feltenstein
Written by: Will Ferrell & Adam McKay
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 1, 2014
"It’s kind of a big deal"

Film Synopsis:

The wait is over, America -- Ron Burgundy is back and “funnier than ever!"* After losing his job to his wife and co-anchor, Ron reassembles the news team and squares off against a new rival. Will the world's greatest anchorman be crushed beneath the weight of his own ego (and his salon-quality hair)? Anything goes in the outrageous comedy

My Take:

Anchorman 2: The legend continues picks up several years after Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy, and finds Ron and his wife Veronica Corningstone as co-anchors for a prestigious news network in New York City. When, Mack Tannen (Harrison Ford), the most famous nightly news anchor in New York, announces his retirement Ron figures he is a shoe in however Mack reveals his plan to promote Veronica, making her the first female nightly news anchor in the history of television. He further advises that he is firing Ron due to his continuously sloppy performance on air. Ron grows jealous of Veronica's success and abruptly leaves Veronica and his six-year-old son Walter.

Six months later Ron is back in San Diego, working part time at Sea World, which eventually doesn’t work out. As luck would have it Ron is approached by Freddie Schapp, an executive producer at the new Global News Network, the world's first 24 hour news channel. He reassembles his news team, of Champ Kind, Brian Fantana, and Brick Tamland for the network launch. They are assigned the unpopular late night timeslot while rival reporter Jack Lime (James Marsden) is put in a primetime slot. Meanwhile, Ron finds that Veronica is dating another man, a psychiatrist named Gary (Greg Kinnear) due to his absence. As GNN launches, Ron decides to broadcast what the people want to hear, rather than what they need to hear, and on the fly devises a sensationalist and attention grabbing newscast that shoots off the ratings charts.

Their new approach to news proves to be a massive hit and the other news networks begin to scramble to emulate them. The success gets Ron promoted which immediately goes to his head putting him at odds with his news team/friends as well as his wife and son whom he continues to neglect. The looming question is, can Ron Burgundy pull it all together and live up to his legend or will it all come crashing down in a firestorm of his own making?

Will Ferrell’s films run hot and cold for me. There are several of his movies that I have really liked while there are others that I just can’t stomach. Honestly I am not clear as to why he feels the need to burden us in almost every one of his films with seeing him practically naked but what ever. I like the original film but my initial reaction to it was lukewarm. After a second viewing it grew on me. I had intentions on seeing this in the theater but decided to wait after my daughter saw it and gave me a less than enthusiastic report. I sat down and watched Anchorman 2: The legend continues with my wife and of course it is laced with Ferrell’s typical brand of over-zealous tomfoolery, crassness and politically incorrect gags. The period specific references of which there are many prove to be funny and in some cases clever.

There are three version of the film included in the Blu-ray combo pack, the original theatrical version (118 minutes), the unrated version (122 minutes) and in a home entertainment first, the Super-sized R rated version (143 minutes) with 763 new jokes. I watched the unrated version and while the opening segments didn’t inspire confidence once things got rolling it got better. Yes it’s an outrageous, raunchy, and silly film but I got a kick out of the purposefully ridiculous dialogue, pitch perfect early 80’s references, and the cohesive comedic banter/interaction among the cast.

Here are a few scenes that had me chuckling aloud:

• Brick meets Chani

• Jack’s on air name(s)

• The “Ice Castles” reference

• The news networks rumble

• Dinner with the Jacksons

• Ron’s on air rant

There are cameos by the likes of Vince Vaughn, Will Smith, Harrison Ford, Sacha Baron Cohen, Marion Cotillard, Kirsten Dunst, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jim Carrey, John C. Reilly and Liam Neeson. Like its predecessor Anchorman 2 : The legend continues deserves recognition for its funny bone tickling antics and subject matter that makes for hilarious fodder in the hands of writers Will Ferrell and Adam MacKay. Fans can revel in this fully loaded three disc Blu-ray edition that brims with everything Ron Burgundy and makes for a perfect companion to the original.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude and sexual content, drug use, language and comic violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency effects:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element):

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Anchorman 2: The legend continues comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, and perfectly suited for the source material.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t intense but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film’s recorded elements. Most of this rests in the sequence involving the networks rumble in the city where a few explosions shake things up nicely.

Bonus Features:
• Commentary: Commentary by Adam McKay, Judd Apatow, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and David Koechner

• Featurette: Behind-The-Scenes

• Featurette: Behind-the-Scenes: Newsroom

• Additional Scenes: Deleted Scenes

• Additional Scenes: Extended & Alternate Scenes

• Bloopers: Gag Reel

• Featurette: Previsualization

• Featurette: Line-O-Rama

• Featurette: Auditions

• Additional Scenes: Welcome to the Dolphin Show

• Additional Scenes: Catfight

• Featurette: Benefit for 826LA: "Spoiler Alert"

• Additional Scenes: News-O-Rama (2:20)

• Trailers: Trailers

• Additional Scenes: Kench-O-Rama

• Easter Eggs: Easter Egg: Ron News Promo

• Featurette: Table Read

• Easter Eggs: Easter Egg: Larry King intro

Final Thoughts:

Anchorman 2: The legend continues is the follow up to the popular Anchorman: The legend of Ron Burgundy. Like its predecessor it’s outrageous, raunchy, and silly but proves lots of fun thanks to a well-conceived script that makes for hilarious fodder in the hands of writers Will Ferrell and Adam MacKay. I chuckled at the pitch perfect period references, purposefully ridiculous (and funny) dialogue, and spot on comedic timing of the well placed cast. Fans can revel in this fully loaded Blu-ray edition that brims with everything Ron Burgundy. It comes from Paramount/DreamWorks offering excellent high definition audio/video quality and a boat load of extras, including three versions of the film, which are worth exploring. This is a must have for fans. Enjoy and “Stay Classy!”

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
^ this doesn't bode well for me... I thought the first one was truly one of the most compellingly bad "films" I had ever seen, with the last 30 minutes being right near the top.

When you live in a country of 350 million it only takes a percentage to send something into a perceived realm of popularity/credibility.

Thanks for the review.

James

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anchorman 2 was fairly excellent up until the 90 minute mark (I've only seen the R-rated and Unrated cuts of the movie), then all the weird - so well intercut in the original - comes out all at once. The Cable News storyline was pretty entertaining too. I still thought it was overall really entertaining.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'd consider the first Anchorman movie as being one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that I don't mind watching every now and then if it's on TV. I think alot of the reason why I liked it so much though is from having been born and raised in San Diego. The plot of the movie and alot of the things in it were so true of San Diego in general. If you're really curious about San Diego and would like to know more, just watch the first Anchorman.

So I really can't wait to see the new Anchorman next week.

Also might I add that there was a lesser known Anchorman 1.5 that came out a while back. It was actually pretty good to. They took a bunch of the cut scenes from the first Anchorman and were able to make a whole nother Anchorman but with a new storyline. It was actually really good also.

You can check it out here...

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Wake-Up-Ron-Burgundy/70019155?strkid=398014425_5_0&strackid=3c050c017ae2c663_5_srl&trkid=222336

And you stay classy Ralph!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Nice review. The first Anchorman is definitly a cult classic amongst me and all my friends and we quote it all the time. Love the characters and the sillyness. I could see others hating it though. Im really excited to watch the next installment but as of late Mr. Farrell hasn't been so funny to me. Gunna rent it first.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp  /t/1523753/anchorman-2-the-legend-continues-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24534909

I'd consider the first Anchorman movie as being one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's one of those movies that I don't mind watching every now and then if it's on TV. I think alot of the reason why I liked it so much though is from having been born and raised in San Diego. The plot of the movie and alot of the things in it were so true of San Diego in general. If you're really curious about San Diego and would like to know more, just watch the first Anchorman.

So I really can't wait to see the new Anchorman next week.

Also might I add that there was a lesser known Anchorman 1.5 that came out a while back. It was actually pretty good to. They took a bunch of the cut scenes from the first Anchorman and were able to make a whole nother Anchorman but with a new storyline. It was actually really good also.

You can check it out here...

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Wake-Up-Ron-Burgundy/70019155?strkid=398014425_5_0&strackid=3c050c017ae2c663_5_srl&trkid=222336

And you stay classy Ralph!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip will check it out!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1523753/anchorman-2-the-legend-continues-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24538874

Thanks for the tip will check it out!

You're welcome!

You stay classy Reddig!!!!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's pure comic genius. Will Ferrell is going down in history as one of the funniest people who ever lived.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave  /t/1523753/anchorman-2-the-legend-continues-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24524091

I liked Anchorman 1, I walked out of Anchorman 2. Only the second time in my life I've walked out of a movie.
I didn't like Anchorman 1 really, and fell asleep twice to Anchorman 2. I love Steve Carrell though, he carried that movie.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77  /t/1523753/anchorman-2-the-legend-continues-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24582061

It's pure comic genius. Will Ferrell is going down in history as one of the funniest people who ever lived.

I'd have to agree with that sentiment.

I finally saw this last night and saw it again tonight.

As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of the first one, and this second 1 was actually alot better. I'm glad that not only did they give Steve Carrell more lines and screen time in this one, but also damnit it was just so nice to finally see him doing a role where he's not playing some dopey and depressed schmuck looking for love or whatever like he's done in almost every role of his these last few years.

How in the hell did that ever become his "type cast" role.

Anyways, Anchorman 2 was AMAZING!!!!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77  /t/1523753/anchorman-2-the-legend-continues-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_80#post_24582061

Different strokes for different folks. I personally can't stand Will Ferrell. I think I lost 50 IQ points after trying to make it through Old School and the like. Obviously my idea of comedy differs from others on here.

The review was good though Ralph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts