Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was at my friends the other day, going to install a Lutron Maestro 600w dimmer, and when we went to the breaker panel to shut the power off so I wouldn't get electricuted, we discovered that instead of a breaker panel his house has FUSES.... There's some big ones with pull handles, and the screw in type with glass portals.....

I told him I had never seen a fuse panel so I didn't screw with it!!!! How do I disconnet the power without blowing crap up or getting killed???

Thanks for reading!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,587 Posts
I grew up in one of those houses and blew many a fuse. My rock band practiced in the basement.

If you know the circuit just unscrew the fuse for that one circuit, or I seem to remember a large handle switch mounted on the side of the fuse box which turned off the power to all the circuits.

After killing the power It would be prudent to then check the wires in question with a current detector before proceeding.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
King, there's no real mystery here. Each fuse just screws in and out like a light bulb. Some fuses have the same Edison base as a bulb, and some have smaller threads, each slightly different, to prevent over-fusing. (You've never seen a fuse box? How old are you?)

One of the pull-outs should be marked "main", and protects all of the screw fuses (actually called plug fuses) with a pair of cartridge fuses, most likely 60 amps each, and the rest of the pull-outs protect 220-volt circuits; range, water heater, etc.

You can either unscrew whichever fuse is marked for the circuit, leaving the light on to ascertain when that circuit has been shut off, or just pull out the main, which will kill all of the lighting and receptacle circuits, so have a flashlight handy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew I could count on you Larry!! :)

Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.